Around the Farm: April 26, 2013
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Yan Gomes (Columbus, C) - 2-3, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K - While Thursday night's performance by Yan Gomes may have been indicative of the natural funk of a player just demoted from the big everything (prorated salary, meal money, luxurious travel and hotels) of the major leagues to the harsh realities of AAA ball, based on his performance on Friday night any such funk is officially over. Nights like Friday combined with a game-calling ability beyond his years are why Terry Francona is convinced that Yan Gomes is a part of the future of the Big Club.
T.J. House (Columbus, SP) - 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R (both earned), 2 BB, 7 K, 2 WP, No Decision - T.J. House just sped through the typical learning curve for a newcomer to AAA like a race car through turn one at the Indy 500. While a lack of early run support as well as a a run allowed in his last inning on the mound combined to deny him the win, he certainly put forth an impressive debut effort and kept the Clippers in the game.
Roberto Perez (Akron, C) - 1-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K - No funk here - while admittely the drop from AAA to AA is nowhere near as jarring for a player as the drop from the majors to the minors. RoboPerez, however, produced by churning out two RBI in an Akron win over the Binghamton Mets. Look for this guy to be in Columbus long-term very soon, probably when Yan Gomes gets called up the big time for good.
- Matt Carson (Columbus, RF) - 1-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB - Solid all-around night at the plate.
- Cord Phelps (Columbus, LF) - 0-4, 4 K - Cord's struggles at the plate continue as he drops to .148 in AAA play.
- Fernando Nieve (Columbus, RP) - 3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K, 3 WP, Win - Nieve pitches well enough to allow the offense to retake the lead and pick up the win in relief.
- Jose Ramirez (Akron, 2B) - 2-5, 1 SB, 1 CS - Just J-Ram being J-Ram. Liking what I've seen out of him lately.
- Chun Chen (Akron, DH) - 2-3, 2 BB, 1 K - Beginning to produce big-time as of late after a rough start.
- Jesus Aguilar (Akron, 1B) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K - Aguilar's hot streak continues.
- Ronny Rodriguez (Akron, SS) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 K - Fourth multi hit game in the last six for Ronny-Rod.
- Danny Salazar (Akron, SP) - 5 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 9 K, Win - A second straight solid outing for Danny after a couple of rough nights. Hopefully the beginning of a positive trend for him.
- Bryce Stowell (Akron, RP) - 2 IP, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP - Bryce's ERA remains unblemished.
- Jordan Smith (Carolina, RF) - 2-5, 2 R, 1 K - A solid night, but just gets him over the Mendoza line for the season.
- Jerrud Sabourin (Carolina, 1B) - 1-3, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K - The Undrafted Wonder's strong season continues.
- Jake Lowery (Carolina, DH) - 1-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K - A good night at the plate from Lowery. Would be nice to see more of these.
- Charlie Valerio (Carolina, C) - 2-5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 K - Another multi-hit night on a dominating offensive night for the 'Cats.
- Bryson Myles (Carolina, LF) - 1-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K - Nights like this are starting to come more often for Myles recently. He needs to keep that trend up.
- Yhoxian Medina (Carolina, 2B) - 2-5, 2 RBI, 1K - A good night at the plate to start his 2013 regular season after getting the callup from Extended Spring Training.
- Jordan Cooper (Carolina, SP) - 8 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 8 K - Pure mound dominance finally earns Cooper his first win of a mostly solid season.
- Luigi Rodriguez (Lake County, CF) - 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB - A little of everything from the leadoff spot on the night.
- Erik Gonzalez (Lake County, 2B) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 K - Hopefully two straight multi-hit nights are the start of a recovery from his weak early form at the plate.
- Dorssys Paulino (Lake County, SS) - 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI - Another prospect who needs to be showing up in this column for the right reasons more often does so on Friday.
- Logan Vick (Lake County, RF) - 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB - Logan continues to hit.
- Nelson Rodriguez (Lake County, 1B) - 0-4, 3 K - Nellie continues to struggle at the plate, with an alarming strikeout rate being the most glaring concern.
- Jake Sisco (Lake County, SP) - 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R (2 earned), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP - Lack of control continues to be a concern.
- Nick Pasquale (Lake County, RP) - 3 IP, 1 H, 3 K - The Captains caught the good end of Pasquale's wildly inconsistent 2013 season on Friday, too bad it was in a losing effort.
- Francisco Valera (Lake County, CP) - 1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (neither earned), 2 BB, 1 WP, Loss, Blown Save - While a blooper reel performance by the infield ultimately did the Captains in, the usually solid Valera's control issues did not help. At least his ERA got out of this one unscathed.