Around the Farm: August 1, 2014
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Zach Walters (Columbus, 2B) - 3-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K - Walters debut in the Indians organization after being traded from the Nationals org for Asdrubal Cabrera was also one of only two notable performances by a Clipper batter on the night and accounted for almost half of the team's hits on the evening.
Elliot Johnson (Columbus, backup LF) - 1-2, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB - The other notable performance came from a player who didn't even start the game. Johnson entered the game in top of the fourth inning as a defensive replacement for Matt Carson and preceeded to thit a three-run homer in the bottom of the inning.
- Josh Outman (Columbus, RP) - 1 IP, perfect - Outman is now th holder of a shutout streak of unusual length: 1.1 IP in three outings (his last appearance, on Friday against Norfolk, [Orioles], saw him allow a hit to the only batter he faced and the batter was stranded on base by the reliever who replaced him).
- C.C. Lee (Columbus, RP) - 1 IP, perfect, 1 K - A perfect ninth that was not matched by a bottom of the ninth comeback from the offense.
- Tim Fedroff (Akron, CF) - 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 K - The only notable offensive performance on another rough night for the suddenly slumping RubberDucks.
- Will Roberts (Akron, SP) - (10-11), 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R (1 earned), 3 BB (1 intentional), 2 K, 3 WP - Will rebounds nicely from two rugh outings and still takes the individual loss.
- Trey Haley (Akron, RP) - 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K - Haley's first good outing since his Double-A season debut on June 13. Hopefully, there are more to come.
- Giovanni Soto (Akron, RP) - 1 IP, perfect, 2 K - Gio Soto extends his scoreless streak to 13.1 IP in nine outings.
- Yhoxian Medina (Carolina, SS) - 2-5, 1 R, 1 K - One of only two multi-hit efforts on a rough night for the Mudcats offense.
- Jerrud Sabourin (Carolina, DH) - 2-4, 1 2B - The other such stat line coming courtesy of the Undrafted Wonder.
- Dylan Baker (Carolina, SP) - L (1-2), 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (1 earned), 2 BB, 2 K - A short but solid effort undone by poor hitting and fielding from the position players.
- Benny Suarez (Carolina, RP) - 2 IP, perfect, 2 K - Suarez returns to his early/mid-July form after a couple of rough outings.
- Clint Frazier (Lake County, CF) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 K - Frazier has his first multi-hit night in over a week, a period in which he had been hitting 1-for-20 (.050) and had a five-game, 17 at-bat hitless streak.
- Nellie Rodriguez (Lake County, 1B) - 2-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K - A big night highlighted by the eventual game-winning RBI by a two-run ground-ball ground-rule double to left field.
- Claudio Bautista (Lake County, 2B) - 3-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 E - Bautista has a huge night out of the nine hole but commits his 14th error of the season on a missed catch.
- Mitch Brown (Lake County, SP) - W (4-9), 5 IP, 3 H, 4 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP - Mitch makes it three straight solid or better outings in a row. Hopefully, he has actually turned his season around and he can maintain his better play of late.
- Alexis Paredes (Lake County, RP) - 1 IP, perfect, 1 K - Paredes has a rare solid outing and his first scoreless outing since June 27. Hopefully, they become more common for him, and soon.
- Trevor Frank (Lake County, RP) - 1 IP, 1 H, 1 K - A nice rebound from an awful appearance in Monday's ballgame.
- Greg Allen (Mahoning Valley, CF) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 HBP - Allen makes it two multi-hit nights in a row coming off a seven-game 1-for-27 (.037) stretch.
- Leo Castillo (Mahoning Valley, 1B) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K - This effort was highlighted by a two-out solo homer in the top of the first.
- D'Vone McClure (Mahoning Valley, RF) - 3-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB - McClure has his first multi-hit night since July 19 and ends a five-game hitting drought in which he went only 2-for-17 (.118). Note: He did appear in a sixth game, but did not make a plate appearance.
- Cameron Hill (Mahoning Valley, SP) - ND, 3.1 I IP, 5 H, 4 R (all earned), 4 BB, 3 K, 1 HR allowed, 1 HBP - A rare dificult night on the mound for the usually-reliable righty.
- Luis Gomez (Mahoning Valley, RP) - 2.2 IP, 2 BB, 5 K - Gomez's season has been feast-or-famine thus far. This game falls decidedly in the "feast" category.
- Bobby Ison (Arizona League, CF) - 2-3, 2 R - Ison makes it two multi-hit games in a row and a five-game hitting streak.
- Jodd Carter (Arizona League, LF) - 2-3, 2 R, 1 RBI - Carter extends his hitting streak to nine and his multi-hit game streak to three.
- Yu-Cheng Chang (Arizona Legue, 3B) - 2-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI - Chang makes it four multi-hit games in his last five and five in his last seven.
- Bobby Bradley (Arizona League, DH) - 1-2, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 Sac Fly, 1 SB - An all-around solid offensive ballgame for Bradley.
- Shaun Marcum (Arizona League, Rehab SP) - 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K - Marcum's rehab stint (and season) begin with a solid two-inning effort.
- Justus Sheffield (Arizona League, Scheduled SP) - W (1-0), 3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 3 K - Sheffield has the best outing of his short professional career to date for his first professional win.
- Leandro Linares (Arizona League, RP) - 1 IP, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP - A solid inning by Linares to close out a game that was ended early by rain, a rare instance in the Arizona League.
Hard to compete with those things going on and one of the org. top arms (Anderson) struggling through ineffectiveness.
Nice debut for Walters, like to see several more from him running up to Sept. when he should get a call up.