Around The Farm: August 11, 2013
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
LeVon Washington (Lake County, CF) - 0-3, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 Pick Off, 1 HBP - LeVon continues to struggle after his return from the DL (.154/.283/.205 in his last ten games). Is he not 100% yet? Is he just getting used to competitive baseball again? Or, was his performance earlier in the season just not sustainable? It might be more than latter, and it is looking like he might not see Carolina this season except possibly the last week of the season and in the playoffs (if they make it).
Bryson Myles (Carolina, LF) - 2-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 K, 1 Pick Off - Myles continues to tear through Carolina League pitching as of late (.476/.500/.619 in his last ten games). He also extended his hitting streak to 23 games in the process. While these numbers likely can't be sustained over the long term, they are indicative of a player who has mastered his current level. Can a trip to Akron be far behind?
Erik Gonzalez (Carolina, SS) - 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 3 RBI, 2 K - While his overall numbers haven't been much to write home about, especially as of late (.100/.119/.175 in his last ten), this performance was a strong performance. His two out two-tun triple in extras won it for the Mudcats.
- Tim Fedroff (Columbus, LF) - 1-4, 2 R, 1 BB - Fedroff continues his strong recent form (.333/.478/.361 in his last ten games).
- Matt LaPorta (Columbus, 1B) - 1-3, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 Sac Fly - LaPorta's sixth game with a hit out of his last seven as he continues to readjust to Triple-A ball after a rehab stint in Arizona.
- Chun Chen (Columbus, DH) - 1-3, 1 R, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K - Hopefully we see even more multi-RBI nights from Chen as he adjusts to Triple-A pitching.
- Trevor Bauer (Columbus, SP) - W (6-5), 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R (earned), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 HBP - The two hit batters notwithstanding, the Pitching Savant was dominant on the night.
- Bryan Price (Columbus, RP) - 2 IP, perfect, 2 K ,1 WP - Two innings of perfect relief from Price (the wild pitch scored an inherited runner and advanced another to third)...
- Nick Hagadone (Columbus, RP) - 1 IP, perfect, 2 K - ...and another from Hagadone.
- Jesus Aguilar (Akron, DH) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 K - No RBI on the night, but he still had a multi-hit game and scored the Aeros' only run of the day.
- Adam Abraham (Akron, 1B) - 2-4, 1 K - A multi-hit performance is enough to get you noted in ATF in a game like this.
- Jake Lowery (Akron, C) - 1-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K - Mentioned for no other reason than he drove in the only Aeros run.
- Matt Packer (Akron, SP) - L (10-8), 5 IP, 6 H, 5 R (all earned), 1 BB, 6 K, 2 WP, 1 HBP - Although not as bad as his last outing, the trend line on Matt is headed in a negative direction right now.
- Bryce Stowell (Akron, RP) - 0.1 IP, perfect - Yes, it was only one batter, but it's still a perfect outing. Nice to see him back and off the DL.
- Paddy Matera (Carolina, 3B) - 2-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 K, 1 E - This signing just keeps looking better and better.
- Jerrud Sabourin (Carolina, 1B) - 2-5, 1 RBI - A multi-hit night from the Undrafted Wonder.
- Joseph Colon (Carolina, SP) - 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R (neither earned), 2 BB, 7 K - A stellar effort by Colon. Too bad that the run support did not allow him to pick up the win.
- Louis Head (Carolina, RP) - W (3-1), 2 IP, perfect - Two innings of perfect relief to keep the Mudcats in the game and pick up the win after the 'Cats offense exploded for three in the tenth.
- Dorssys Paulino (Lake County, SS) - 1-4, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K - Paulino only got one hit on the day, but he made it count with a two-run double to left field in the second inning.
- Logan Vick (Lake County, RF) - 0-2, 1 R, 2 BB - No hits for Logan on the day, but his plate discipline pays off with two walks, one of which resulted in him scoring.
- Joseph Sever (Lake County, 1B) - 2-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB - Sever's third multi-hit game in three days. Hopefully, he is heading for another hot stretch.
- Jeremy Lucas (Lake County, C) - 2-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB - Lucas continues to hit well (.314/.442/.514 in his last ten ball games).
- Jorge Martinez (Lake County, LF) - 0-4, 3 K - Jorge's struggles (.191/.234/.317 on the season and .094/.194/.375 in his last ten) continue with this hat-trick effort.
- Josh Tomlin (Lake County, Rehab SP) - 2,1 IP, 1 H, 3 K - While it is a Major Leaguer facing Low Single-A competition, it's still good to see these kind of numbers from Josh Tomlin as his Major League Rehab assignment progresses.
- Dylan Baker (Lake County, Scheduled SP) - (W (7-6), 5.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R (both earned), 3 BB, 4 K - Not a particularly notable outing either way, but the run support is decisive in getting him the win and putting him over the .500 mark on the season. The walk totals of late are a concern.
- Ryan Battaglia (Mahoning Valley, 1B) - 3-5, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 1 RBI - A great night from Battaglia. Too bad we don't see more of these (.200/.314/.400 on the season in Mahoning Valley).
- Martin Cervenka (Mahoning Valley, C) - 3-5, 1 R, 1 RBI - Another stellar night from a Scrapper who would do well to post a few more of them (.204/.269/.280 on the season).
- Cody Ferrell (Mahoning Valley, CF) - 3-4, 1 BB - Ferrell, on the other hand, is hot (.379/.419/.448 in his last ten games).
- Alexis Paredes (Mahoning Valley, RP) - BS (1), L (1-2), 1 IP, 4 H, 5 R (all earned), 2 BB - Hopefully, we don't see any more outings this bad from Paredes, or any other pitcher in the system, anytime soon. Tony was there and said it wasn't pretty.
- Manuel Carmona (Mahoning Valley, RP) - 1.1 IP, perfect, 3 K - Dominant relief that was, unfortunately, not backed up with a rally from the offense.
- Grant Fink (Arizona League - Game 1, 1B) - 3-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 1 K - This line would've been inpressive in a nine-inning game, but Grant put these stats up in seven innings.
- Shane Rowland (Arizona League - Game 1 , C) - 2-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB - His three-run homer to right in the fifth put the game out of the AZL Reds' reach.
- Takuya Tsuchida (Arizona League - Game 1, 2B) - 2-3, 1 R, 1 K- Yet another multi-effort by the A-Tribe in the opener of the day's doubleheader.
- Mitch Brown (Arizona League - Game 1, SP) - W (2-3), 5 IP, 4 H, 2 R (both earned), 2 BB, 3 K, 3 WP, 3 HBP - Despite the control issues, a solid effort for Mitch to pick up the win.
- Yonathan Mendoza (Arizona League - Game 2, 3B) - 3-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI - While the nightcap was hardly the offensive explosion that the opener was, it still produced this notable statline.
- Ordomar Valdez (Arizona League - Game 2, 2B) - 1-2, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB - A good all-around effort from Ordomar in game 2.
- Luis Gomez (Arizona League, SP) - 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R (earned), 3 K - A solid effort that unfortunately went for a no decision due to lack of early run support.
- Carlos Melo (Arizona League, CP) - BS (2), W (1-1), 1 IP, 1 H,2 R (neither earned), 1 BB, 1 WP, 1 HBP - I believe I have made my feelings known already regarding the ability of a pitcher to be charged with a blown save and earn a win in the same outing.