Around The Farm: August 2, 2014
Walters highlights a quiet night on the farm
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note that Carolina was rained out on Saturday.
Zach Walters (Columbus, 2B) - 1-5, 1 RBI, 1 K
It was a nondescript offensive night for the Clippers, but, much like last night, Walters was the star of the game offensively. His one-out line-drive single to right field in the 11th inning scored third baseman Giovanny Urshela for the eventual winning run.
- Kyle Davies (Columbus, SP) - ND, 6 IP, 5 H, 1 R (unearned), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP - Normally, this outing would be easily enough for the individual win, but tonight was a classic duel in Pawtucket, Rhode Island (Red Sox).
- Erik Gonzalez (Akron, SS) - 2-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI - The only two-hit performance of the night for the RubberDucks, the team's only extra-base hit on the evening, and one of only two RBI add up to the only notable offensive performance for the Mallards of Main Street as they continue to struggle.
- Shawn Morimando (Akron, SP) - L (1-3), 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R (all earned), 2 BB, 7 K, 1 WP - While not a great outing, this was a vast improvement over his three-inning, five-run disaster last time out against Bowie (Orioles).
- Mike Papi (Lake County, 1B) - 1-3, 1 K - Incredibly, the player who kept the Captains from getting no-hit on Saturday is a guy who isn't even halfway to the Mendoza Line (.088 in his last 10 games and .098 in 12 games with Lake County).
- Wander Beras (Lake County, RP) - 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R (all earned), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP - Beras' three-game, 7.2 IP scoreless streak comes to a crashing halt in his worst game in over a month.
- Francisco Mejia (Mahoning Valley, C) - 1-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K - Mejia had the first of two RBI doubles in the top of the fourth that accounted for all of the Scrappers' scoring on the night,.
- D'vone McClure (Mahoning Valley, RF) - 1-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI - McClure hit the second, scoring Mejia.
- Yonathan Mendoza (Mahoning Valley, SS) - Yonathan had the lone multi hit evening for the Scrappers from the nine hole.
- Edward Estrella (Mahoning Valley, RP) - 3.2 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K - Estrella returns to his solid mid-July form after a rough outing last time out against the State College Spikes (Cardinals).
- David Armendariz (Arizona League, starting LF) - 1-1, 1 R, 1 3B - Before being pulled for pinch-hitter Jodd Carter in the fourth inning, Armendariz provided the bulk of the A-Tribe offense in a rain-shortened opener of a scheduled doubleheader (the nightcap was rained out).
- Shao-Ching Chiang (Arizona League, SP) - L (1-2), 3 IP, 6 H, 5 R (all earned), 1 BB, 1 K - This outing is representative of both Chiang's uneven season thus far and this ugly night in the Tribe farm system.