Around the Farm: August 4
Cord Phelps-2B, Columbus: 3-5, 2 2B, RBI, 2 R. Phelps just keeps on hitting. The 3rd round pick in 2008 out of Stanford has put up a AAA line of .340/.412/.537. He has more extra base hits in his 43 games at Columbus (21) than he did in 53 games in Akron earlier this year (13). He has 17 walks for the Clippers against 22 strikeouts, so he's being selective in getting the pitch he wants and driving it. No doubt about it, Phelps has himself in line for a shot at the 2B job in Cleveland coming out of Spring Training next year.
- Bryce Stowell-RP, Columbus: 1 2/3 IP, H, 3 K, BB. Stowell has 92 strikeouts in 59 2/3 innings spanning three levels this year.
- Jared Goedert-3B, Columbus: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI, BB. The one was a big one, as it was the go-ahead 2B in the 8th inning yesterday.
- Josh Rodriguez-SS, Columbus: 1-4, HR (11), RBI, BB, 2 R. Seven game hitting streak for Rodriguez, with 3 HR and 7 RBI.
- Richard Martinez-C, Columbus: 2-4, 2 2B, 4 RBI, K. Called all the way up from the Scrappers after Lou Marson was moved up to Cleveland, Martinez had a big day yesterday to celebrate.
- Corey Kluber-SP, Akron: 4 IP, 8 H, 4 R (3 ER), 4 K, 5 BB. The pitcher acquired from the Padres in the Jake Westbrook deal, Kluber had a tough Akron debut.
- Jason Kipnis-2B, Akron: 2-4, HR (7), 3B, RBI, R. Kipnis had Akron's only 2 hits last night, and started a 4-6-3 DP. There are a lot of organizations who would love to have one legit 2B prospect in their system, and we have two pretty good ones right now in Phelps and Kipnis.
- T.J. House-SP, Kinston: 7 IP, 3 H, 3 K, BB. Another solid start for House, lowering his ERA to 3.68.
- Chun Chen-C, Kinston: 2-4, 2B, R. Chen has been hot lately, with a line of .375/.500/.594 over his last 10 games.
- Brett Brach-SP, Lake County: W, 7 IP, 7 H, ER, 4 K. Given up just 2 ER in his last 23 IP over 3 starts.
- Adam Abraham-3B, Lake County: 2-3, 2B, 2 BB. The Midwest League POY has thrown up a .415/.510/.732 over his last 10 games, with hits in 8 straight.
- Roberto Perez-C, Lake County: 1-1, 3B, R, 2 BB. That's the 3rd 3B on the year for the catcher. Solid approach, with 67 BB and 68 K on the season.
- Jonathan Burnette-OF, Mahoning Valley: 3-4, 2 HR (6), 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R. Big day for the 18th round draft pick out of Georgia Tech. Has actually cooled down of late, but still hitting .285 for the Scrappers.
- Kevin Fontanez-SS, Mahoning Valley: 3-4, 2B, RBI. Barely 20 years old, Fontanez has hits in 7 of his last 10 games.
- Giovanny Urshela-3B, Mahoning Valley: 3-5, 3 1B. Urshela is just 18, and won't turn 19 until after the season. He's hitting .280 for the Scrappers, but needs to refine his approach a little with 8 walks against 20 strikeouts.
- Luigi Rodriguez-OF, DSL Indians: 2-2, 2 1B. Rodriguez with the only two hits yesterday for the DSL Indians in a shortened game.