Around The Farm: August 5
Giovanni Soto - LHP, Lake County: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 4 K. Nice home debut for Soto, and he has not skipped a beat since being traded to the Indians last Tuesday. Lots of front office executives were in attendance to get their first look at Soto and came away impressed with what they saw. Was in control all night, very confident, and at times showed some cockiness. Fastball was 86-88 MPH and cutter 82-83 MPH, and just pitched well in lower part of the zone. He did miss big high and outside with his breaking ball often, so something to watch going forward.
Joe Gardner - RHP, Kinston: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 3 K: Just another very good outing by No Ordinary Joe. He has really put together a nice professional debut season this year where overall between Lake County and Kinston he is 10-5 with a 3.03 ERA (113.0 IP, 78 H, 46 BB, 120). He has been exceptional at getting batters to pound the ball into the ground (3.60 GO/AO), missing bats (9.6 K/9), and limiting hits (.195 BAA). He is certainly up for Organization Pitcher of the Year honors after the season, though still five weeks and roughly 5-7 starts to go.
Jason Knapp - RHP, Arizona: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K. Big righty looks to be about ready to end his rehab stint in Arizona and finally get up to a full season team for the last few weeks of the season. In 3 appearances in Arizona he has thrown 6 shutout innings, allowed 2 hits, 1 walk and has 11 strikeouts. He should be able to go five innings, so if he doesn't need one more start in Arizona, he should join either Kinston or Lake County early next week.
- Michael Brantley - OF, Columbus: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, RBI. A nice farewell to Columbus, hopefully for good, since Brantley is expected to be called up today. His .319 average is 2nd in the International League.
- Matt McBride - 1B, Columbus: 3-for-5, 2B. A nice .400 start for McBride in his first week at Triple-A. He's gotta keep hitting at a good clip to stay on the big league radar.
- Ezequiel Carrera - DH, Columbus: 1-for-5, R, 2B, 2 K. Welcome back Eze C. His first game back from hamstring injury.
- Jeremy Sowers - LHP, Columbus: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K. Sowers is back in the rotation out of desperation since Columbus rotation ravaged with injuries/callups. Start of something good?
- Carlton Smith - RHP, Columbus: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 7 R/ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR. Ouch, babe.
- Kelvin De La Cruz - LHP, Akron: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 5 K. Nice outing for De La, just too bad run support wasn't there from his teammates. Last 4 starts now 3-1 with 1.64 ERA (22.0 IP, 17 H, 9 BB, 20 K).
- Nick Hagadone - LHP, Akron: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K. Another good relief outing. Since moving to pen, in 4 games is 0-0 with 2.16 ERA (8.1 IP, 8 H, 7 BB, 6 K). Walks still a concern.
- Karexon Sanchez - 2B, Kinston: 2-for-4, R, 2B. Having a solid season in Kinston hitting .261/.385/.418 with 10 HR, 43 RBI, and 7 stolen bases. Utility prospect.
- Jeremie Tice - DH, Kinston: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI: Continues to hit and has had a nice season between Kinston and Lake County hitting .284/.336/.480 with 11 HR and 65 RBI.
- Delvi Cid - OF, Lake County: 2-for-4, R, HR, RBI, K: After a horrendous start to his season, he is now hitting .252/.307/.301 on the year, a surge propelled by abandoning switch-hitting in early June. His 56 stolen bases lead the league.
- Roberto Perez - C, Lake County: 2-for-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, K: A defensive specialist and Major League caliber defender, his future will be dictated by his growth as a hitter.
- Jason Smit - 1B, Lake County: 2-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, K: Aussie's big knock put the game out of reach.
- Preston Guilmet - RHP, Lake County: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. Another save for Guilmet, this of the three inning variety. Having nice year in Lake County with 2.02 ERA and 9 saves.
- Jesus Aguilar - 1B, Mahoning Valley: 2-for-4, 2B. Massive 20-year old adding some much needed punch to the Scrappers lineup.
- Chase Burnette - LF, Mahoning Valley: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI. Continues to be one of the only bright spots in an impotent Scrappers lineup. Nice .284/.322/.497 line so far.
- Alex Kaminsky - RHP, Mahoning Valley: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 5 K. Undrafted Wright State product continues to perform, now 4-3 with 2.15 ERA on year.
- Nick Bartolone - 3B, Arizona: 3-for-5, 2 R. Scrappy Bartolone having nice pro debut hitting .304/.360/.328 with 15 stolen bases in 30 games.
- Jorge Martinez - SS, Arizona: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB, K. Highly regarded middle infield prospect hits first pro home run.
- Juan Romero - DH, Arizona: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI, 3 K. Recently turned 17-year old 3B who is another young Latin prospect to watch. Hits his first pro home run.
No comments currently. Be the first to comment!