Around the Farm: December 12, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Dominican Winter League and Australian Baseball League were off on Wednesday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Luis Hernandez (2B, Tigres de Aragua): Game 1: 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI. Hernandez continues to be one of the best Indians stories this winter season. He collected two more hits Wednesday, including his eighth double of the winter season.
- Paolo Espino (SP, Caribes de Anzoategui): (W, 1-1): 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R/ER, 5 K, 1 HR. Espino was brilliant on Wednesday and allowed just one run, which came from a solo home run. Espino has never really been much of a prospect, but you can’t blame his performances for that. He continues to perform wherever he pitches and so far, he has a 3.44 ERA in four starts and 18 1/3 innings of work this winter.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 K. Carrera had another strong night Wednesday, and he even displayed some power as he launched a solo home run. The homer is shockingly Carrera’s second this winter, which is a big surprise considering the speedy left-handed hitter is not known for his power.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Rob Bryson (RP, Criollos de Caguas): 1/3 IP, 1 BB. Bryson faced two batters Wednesday and managed to get the first batter to ground out before walking the second. He still has yet to allow an earned run this winter and has now pitched 11 1/3 innings without allowing a run.
- Joseph Colon (SP, Cangrejeros de Santurce): 5 2/3 IP, 3 H, 3 R/1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K. Colon has been quite good so far this winter in the PWL. He currently has a 3.04 ERA in six games and 23 2/3 innings of work. He also has an impressive 23 strikeouts against just eight walks.
- Matt Langwell (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 K. Langwell continues to put up outstanding numbers this winter, and his best appearance might have come on Wednesday. In 10 games and 12 1/3 innings of work, the right-hander now has a 0.73 ERA.
Steve can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.