Around the Farm: December 19, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Australian Baseball League was off on Wednesday.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (SS, Toros del Este): 1-for-4, 1 BB, CS. Ramirez has seen his average start to slowly fall, and it's now down to .314. However, on the positive side of things, he did record a hit to give himself a modest three-game hit streak, which could be the start of something.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 2-for-3, 1 K. With two more hits Wednesday, McDade has now gone 22-for-74 in 23 games. Unfortunately, he also notched another strikeout, and the switch-hitter now has 17 strikeouts against just five walks this winter.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 0-for-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K. On Wednesday, Santana did more of what he's done a lot of this winter: walk and strikeout. While his offensive numbers have been pretty futile (13-for-65), Santana has now walked 12 times and struck out 16 times. You have to love the walks, but the strikeouts are discouraging.
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 1-for-4. Diaz has now played in 39 games this winter, which is more than any other Indian and about 1/3 of a full minor league season. His average sits at .259 (30-for-116), which seems to be on par with what we should expect offensively from Diaz.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 0-for-3, 2 R. Carrera scored his 17th and 18th runs of the winter season on Wednesday. It's hard to say what the future holds for the left-handed hitting outfielder, but he's had a solid winter season as he's gone 28-for-94 in 25 games.
- Jeanmar Gomez (SP, Tiburones de La Guaira): 1.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R/4 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR. Gomez would definitely like to have this one back. While his defense did him no favors, Gomez still was unable to limit the damage, which ultimately resulted in him being pulled before making it out of the second inning. Gomez had pitched quite well in his previous three outings, but Wednesday's catastrophe resulted in his ERA ballooning from 0.87 to 3.75.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (SS, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-3, 1 BB. Cabrera was unable to get a hit on Wednesday, but he did draw his first walk of the season, and the switch-hitting shortstop has now gone 8-for-26 in six games this winter.
- Jesus Aguilar (PH-1B, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-1. Look who happened to make an appearance in Wednesday's Leones del Caracas game. Aguilar had last been seen in winter ball on Dec. 5, so it had been quite awhile for the hulking first base man. Thankfully, it looks as if he is not rusty as he recorded a single in his lone pinch-hit appearance.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.