Around the Farm: December 2, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Dominican Winter League
- Delvi Cid (PH-LF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0-for-1, 1 K: Cid has been utilized primarily as a pinch hitter in his four-game winter league stint, but he hasn’t appeared in a game since November 7th. He’s back, and will be beginning a quest to turn his speed into relevance for the Indians going forward. He doesn’t have a major league skill set, but speed could change all.
- Manny Ramirez (DH, Aguilas Cibaenas): 3-for-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB: It’s hard not to pay attention to Manny Ramirez when he’s hitting this well in a ballgame. It hasn’t been all roses for the former offensive freak, as he was 6-for-37 in his previous nine games.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-3, 1 R: Ramirez just hits the baseball, and he hasn’t stopped this winter. Ramirez is hitting .330 so far, and has hits in seven of his last nine ballgames. There are bigger names in the system who are more athletic than this kid, but there’s a small part of me that’s starter to wonder if we aren’t focusing our energy in the wrong direction. This kid can play…and he hasn’t stopped since he turned pro.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 0-for-2: Well, McDade is hitless in his past two games, so perhaps he’s starting to realize which team signed him.
- Chad Huffman (PH, 1B, Toros del Este): 1-for-2, 1 RBI, 1 K: Huffman took over for the new member of the Tribe organization, and did him one better. Huffman is hitting .300, and has hits in five of his six winter league ballgames.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Paolo Espino (SP, Caribes de Anzoategui): L (0-1), 2 IP, 6 H, 3 R/ER, 1 K, 1 HR: This certainly wasn’t the start that Espino had in mind when he took to the hill on Sunday. After a dominating first start last week, he was less than stellar in taking the loss.
Australian Baseball League
- Ryan Battaglia (DH, Brisbane Bandits): 1-for-5, 1 K: Battaglia continues to struggle down under, as he’s only hitting .235. Still, it was good enough for the catcher to make it into the ABL All Star game on December 16th.
- Andrew Campbell (LF, Brisbane Bandits): 1-for-3, 1 BB: Campbell now has a four-game hit streak, and has hits in seven of eight ballgames. He’s hitting .303 on the young season, which is third on the team, but not good enough for the all-star game.
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.
Kind of like Casey Kotchman last year.