Around The Farm: December 27, 2014
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE (LVBP)
- Anthony Gallas (RF, Aguilas del Zulia) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K - Gallas continues to hit well in winter ball as this two-hit effort, highlighted by a fourth inning, two-out solo shot to left, brings his last 10 games slash line to .341/.449/.659 with three home runs and seven RBI.
PUERTO RICAN LEAGUE (LBPRC)
- Bryson Myles (LF, Gigantes de Carolina) - 0-4 - Myles' uneventful offseason continues as he his slash line drops to .222/.263/.333 in five games, and even that level of performance is largely based on a 2-for-4 night with a triple and 2 RBI five nights ago at the Cangrejeros de Santurce.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE (LIDOM) PLAYOFFS - ROUND ROBIN - DAY 1
- Audy Ciriaco (3B, Estrellas de Oriente) - 3-5, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 K - Remember Ciriaco's pedestrian regular LIDOM season? Well, that Audy Ciriaco was nowhere to be seen at Estadio Tetelo Vargas in San Pedro de Macoris. Hopefully, this trend will continue in the playoffs. However, even then there is the question of whether it is Ciriaco playing his best when the games matter the most or him not taking the regular season seriously enough.
As a reminder regarding the format of the LIDOM season:
- LIDOM completed a 50-game regular season (all six teams facing each of the others ten times) last Sunday. The fifth-place Tigres del Licey (19-31) and sixth-place Leones del Escogido (17-33) were eliminated.
- Tonight's action begins an 18-game Round Robin playoff (top 4 teams play each other six times). The Round Robin ends on January 17 (no games on New Year's Eve or Day, as well as January 6 and 12). The top two teams advance to play the best-of-9 Serie Final with the winner being declared LIDOM Champion and representing the Dominican Republic in the Serie del Caribe in San Juan, Puerto Rico from February 1-8. The series will be played at Estadio Hiram Bithorn, which you may remember as the part-time home of the Montreal Expos in their later seasons.
I will post similar explanations of Venezuela and Puerto Rico's playoff systems when their playoffs begin.