Around the Farm: December 4, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Australian Baseball League was off on Tuesday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Eric Berger (SP, Bravos de Margarita): 2.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R/ER, 1 K. This was definitely Berger’s roughest outing so far this winter. Up until Tuesday’s performance, Berger had not allowed more than three earned runs in any contest all winter. Even with the slip up, the left-hander’s ERA remains a solid 3.32.
- Hector Rondon (RP, Leones del Caracas): (W, 2-1), 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R/ER, 1 K. All good things must come to an end, and unfortunately that was the case Tuesday for Rondon. The right-hander allowed an earned run following 14 consecutive appearances of scoreless relief. Despite Tuesday’s hiccup, Rondon’s numbers remain impressive, and he now has a 3.71 ERA in 19 games and 17 innings this winter.
- Luis Hernandez (2B-SS, Tigres de Aragua): 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 BB. Hernandez continues to exceed expectations in winter ball. The switch-hitter has now recorded at least one hit in eight of his last nine games, and he currently holds a .389 average. Not too shabby for a minor league signing.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 3-for-5, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 K. As usual, Ramirez continues to hit and put up very impressive numbers in the DWL. His average now sits at .344 in 27 games this winter. He’s become the talk of IPI as of late, and it’s for good reason. It’s hard not to love the impressive offensive numbers that he continues to put up.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 1-for-1, 2 BB. This was a very nice game for the recently acquired McDade, especially because he has struggled to draw walks so far in the DWL this season. Overall, McDade has now gone 11-for-41 with three walks and 11 strikeouts this winter.
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 2-for-3, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 K. The switch-hitting Diaz continues to play just about every day in the DWL. He had a nice performance on Tuesday, and he now has gone 25-for-93 in 33 games this winter.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 0-for-4. Santana has unfortunately had a tough start to his winter season. He’s hitless in his last three contests and has gone 0-for-10 over that span. Overall, the switch-hitter has gone 5-for-29 this winter.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Matt Langwell (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): 2 IP, 1 H, 3 K. Langwell rebounded nicely from his last outing in which he allowed his first earned run of the winter season. Overall, Langwell now has 1.17 ERA in 7 2/3 innings of work this winter.
- Joseph Colon (SP, Cangrejeros de Santurce): (W, 2-2), 5 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K. Tuesday’s performance was easily Colon’s best so far this winter. Overall, the right-hander now has a 3.50 ERA in 18 innings pitched this winter.
- Roberto Perez (C, Indios de Mayaguez): 0-for-4. Perez’s modest three-game hit streak was snapped with his hitless performance on Tuesday. The right-handed hitter’s overall numbers are still impressive this winter as he has gone 11-for-39.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.