Around the Farm: December 4, 2014
Soto impressing in Puerto Rico highlights the night on the farm
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Here is the rundown of what Cleveland players in winter ball did yesterday:
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Giovanni Soto (RP, Gigantes de Carolina): W (3-1), 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1 WP. A quick correction to yesterday’s Around the Farm: the outing listed yesterday actually took place on November 21 and was a part of a rain-delayed game. So that was not actually Soto’s bounce back third start; it was actually his first one. The second game of Wednesday’s doubleheader was then rained out, causing some confusion in the box scores. This outing is Soto’s actually third “start,” as Soto definitely got back on track with nearly six shutout innings in a blowout win for Gigantes.
- Alexis Pantoja (SS, Senadores de San Juan): 0-for-1. Pantoja was on the other side of this game, and in the midst of a 17-0 blowout loss, the Senadores decided to give a bunch of bench players some playing time. That is how Pantoja made his way into the game in the seventh inning, making his first appearance since November 16.
Dominican Winter League
- Enosil Tejeda (RP, Gigantes del Cibao): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO. Gigantes needed the door slammed with runners on first and second and two outs in the third inning and asked Tejeda to get that one out. As usual based on his minor league track record, Tejeda did what was asked of him and got the key strikeout.
- Erik Gonzalez (SS, Leones del Escogido): 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 SO. Gonzalez hit well in Wednesday’s game, but the 23-year-old continued his slow overall start to his winter ball season with this performance Thursday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Anthony Gallas (RF, Aguilas del Zulia): 0-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 SO. One of 2014’s breakout stars in Cleveland’s minor league system, Gallas made his first appearance in winter ball this year here with Aguilas.
Mexican Winter League
- Tim Fedroff (CF, Mayos de Navojoa): 1-for-4. Fedroff has a seven-game hit streak going, but with most of those games containing one hit and few walks, the outfielder still only owns a .286 on-base percentage and .636 OPS through 11 games.
Australian Baseball League
- Ben Shorto (PR-LF, Perth Heat): 0-for-0. Shorto entered the game in the ninth inning as a pinch runner and stayed in, playing left field. After making one plate appearance in the Arizona League this past season, Shorto has made three appearances for Perth over the past month.
If you want to follow Jim on Twitter, he’s @JimPiascik. If you want to e-mail him, you can do so at email@example.com. If you want to read his Master's thesis on college athletes and Twitter, you can do so here.
what's your opinion on Paul Hendrix and I see Leo Castillo has been moved to 1B, why did this happen??