Around the Farm: December 8, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 1-for-5, 2 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 K: Diaz hasn’t exactly been lighting it up in the Dominican League, going 3-for-19 in his previous six games. He only added one hit on Saturday, but it was a big fly.
- Chad Huffman (1B, Toros del Este): 1-for-2, 1 K: Huffman is hitting a respectable .296 with Toros, which is more than respectable, but only has one mult-base hit so far during winter league play.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 1-for-2: McDade hasn’t done a whole lot of hitting since the Indians acquired him, and with the influx of minor league first baseman, that can’t be a good thing for the newly acquired Indians’ first baseman.
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 3-for-4, 2 RBI: To say that Ramirez is playing well would be the understatement of the century. He currently has a six-game hit streak, and has hits in nine of his last ten ballgames. He has five multi-hit games during that stretch, and is hitting 16-for-40. Of course, all 16 hits have been singles, but this kid isn’t supposed to be Hank Aaron. With every at bat, you can feel this kid getting a step closer to the big leagues, and it should be fun to see if he can cross the threshold from a curiosity to a top prospect…or has he already?
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 3-for-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI: Santana had been mired in a 1-for-16 slump heading into Saturday night’s ballgame, but the Tribe’s starting catcher managed his second multi-hit ballgame in his past seven games.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Asdrubal Cabrera (DH, Leones del Caracas): 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 K: Asdrubal’s time with the Indians’ organization may be numbered, but he’s still a member of the Tribe. He cracked out two hits, and added a run to the festivities. It will be interesting to see if Cabrera sticks around, or if he’s sent packing.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegante del Magallanes): 0-for-2, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K: Carrera hasn’t had a hit in three games, and is hitting .242 in his last ten, but he has scored eight runs during that stretch, and managed an impressive .381 OBP as well. That’s speed for you.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (DH, Brisbane Bandits): Game 1: 1-for-2, 1 R, 1 BB: Game 2: 1-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K: Campbell just owns this league. He has hits in 12 of his 13 ballgames, and has a current seven-game hit streak, with a double, a homer and three RBI. His OBP is a stellar .426.
- Ryan Battaglia (C, Brisbane Bandits): Game 2: 0-for-4, 3 K: Battaglia played in his first game in almost a week, and went hitless. He’s only hitting .190 in six games for Brisbane.
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.