Around the Farm: Instructs 9/24
Here is a review of the third game in the Fall Instructional League played on Saturday.
Instructional League Game #3: September 24 vs. Rangers
- Tyler Holt (CF): 1-for-3, R, 2B. Holt has four strikeouts in ten at bats.
- LeVon Washington (CF): 0-for-1. It is pretty clear that Holt for right now is getting most of the playing time in CF.
- Tony Wolters (2B): 0-for-3, K. Wolters really struggled the last few weeks at Mahoning Valley, and in three games so far in Instructs is just 1-for-8.
- Robel Garcia (2B): 0-for-1, K, E. Garcia has been limited to just one at bat in each of the first three games.
- Jake Lowery (DH): 1-for-2, RBI, BB. We are at the half way point for the Instructional League period and Lowery is arguably having the best showing so far. Three hits and four walks in 9 plate appearances.
- Jesus Aguilar (1B): 0-for-3, K. Aguilar’s 4 RBI lead all Indians players so far in Instructs. His 4 strikeouts also are tied for the most among Indians players.
- Leonardo Castillo (1B): 0-for-1. Just 1-for-7 so far, but has two walks.
- Giovanny Urshela (3B): 1-for-2, R, 2B, RBI, E. Always nice to see when the defensively gifted Urshela has a good offensive game. It brings hope that things may finally click.
- Jorge Martinez (3B): 0-for-2, K. Martinez continuing to get work in at third base. He is still considered a middle infield option, but third base provides some versatility for him down the road.
- Ronny Rodriguez (SS): 2-for-2, R, HR, 2 RBI, CS. Player of the day. Ronny Rod has continued his late season success at Low-A Lake County and brought it to Arizona.
- Francisco Lindor (SS): 0-for-1, BB, K. A lot of time being split at several positions, and shortstop is no exception as the Indians are working in the talented Lindor with the talented Ronny Rod.
- Alex Monsalve (C): 0-for-1, BB. Monsalve has yet to record a hit in three at bats so far.
- Eric Haase (C): 1-for-2. Haase gets himself off the schneid with his first hit in Instructs.
- Bryson Myles (RF): 2-for-4, R, SB. Myles is now 4-for-10 in Instructs and he swipes his first bag.
- Alex Lavisky (DH): 0-for-3, BB. Lavisky has one hit, one walk, and two strikeouts in 10 plate appearances.
- Luigi Rodriguez (LF): 0-for-2, BB, 2 K. Rodriguez is having a strong start to his Instructional League season reaching base in 4 of 8 plate appearances.
- Dillon Howard (SP): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 0 K. Howard’s unofficial “official” pro debut. His “official” debut will occur next April, likely in Lake County, but good to see him out there finally.
- Robbie Aviles (RP): 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R/ER, 1 BB, 1 K. A tough outing for Aviles who is still working his way back from Tommy John surgery, though inconsistency with performance is expected.
- Danny Salazar (RP): 2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 0 BB, 3 K. Another quality outing for Salazar who has no walks and 6 strikeouts in two appearances in Instructs.
- Elvis Araujo (RP): 2.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R/ER, 3 BB, 2 K. One of Araujo’s poorest outings in all of 2011. He struggled to throw strikes as he threw just 3 first pitch strikes to the 10 batters he faced. The strong velocity was there as normal though.
- Felix Sterling (RP): 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R/ER, 5 BB, 1 K. In Sterling’s two innings of work he threw 50 pitches facing 14 batters and was strike one to only 8 of them.