Around the Farm: January 11, 2013
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Asdrubal Cabrera (DH, Leones del Caracas): 2-for-6, 1 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K. The strong winter season continues for Cabrera, who collect two more hits on Friday. Let's just hope this strong performance means that Cabrera will start the regular season as strongly as he finished the winter season.
- Jesus Aguilar (1B, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K. The other popular Leones del Caracas member of the past week has been Aguilar, who collected one more hit on Friday. Strikeouts continue to be a problem for Aguilar though, who grabbed two more on Friday.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 1-for-5, 1 R, 1 K. This is not the strongest performance for Carrera but he at least still grabbed one hit. Carrera has now gone 41-for-144 this winter.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-4. It was not the best of performances that Ramirez has this winter, but he still managed to record one hit, which is indicative of the consistency that he has had all winter. A one-hit performance may not be the immediate strong showing that Ramirez has been used to this winter, but it's more than most players can say.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Rob Bryson (RP, Criollos de Caguas): 1 IP. The successful winter season continues for Bryson, who has essentially been unhittable this winter. Bryson has now pitched 18 innings this winter and has allowed only six hits. He may not be on the immediate radar of the big league team, but his winter performance may also change that.
Australian Baseball League
- Ryan Battaglia (C, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K. Battaglia is really in the midst of a downward spiral. Unfortunately, an 0-for-3 performance does nothing to break a player out of a slump.
- Andrew Campbell (LF-CF, Brisbane Bandits): 2-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB. The strong winter season continues for Campbell, who notched two more hits on Friday. Let's just hope Campbell is able to display some of this bat magic statewide this season.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.