Around the Farm: July 27
Abner Abreu, OF-Kinston: 0-2, 3 BB, K, SB
Yes, you're reading that correctly. Three walks for Abner Abreu. Those three last night give him a season total of 16 (against 93 strikeouts). After a dismal start and some injury issues, Abreu has his season average up to .252, although his OPS is just .652. He still needs to work on his plate discipline, but more highly regarded prospects than Abreu (see Moustakous, Mike) have struggled mightily in the Carolina League and gone on to success at higher levels.
- Eric Berger, SP-Columbus: 6 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K. First start for Columbus after being called up from Akron, ended up with a ND
- Zach Putman, RP-Columbus: L, 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 K, 0 BB. Leadoff double, sac bunt and sac fly were enough to tag Putnam with the loss.
- Wyatt Toregas, DH-Columbus: 1-4, 1B. Back in Columbus, 2 HR since rejoining the Clippers.
- Jose Constanza, OF-Columbus: 3-4, R, SB. Speedy OF is hitting .326 over his last 10 games.
- Anthony Reyes, SP-Akron: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K. Encouraging rehab start for Reyes as he begins the slow trek back from Tommy John surgery.
- Rob Bryson, RP-Akron: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K. Only 1 K from Bryson? I'm almost disappointed.
- Connor Graham, RP-Akron: W, 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. Nice outing from Graham piggybacking on the Reyes start.
- Bryan Price, RP-Akron: S, 3 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K. Nice work from Price on the combined shutout for the Aeros staff. Managed a rare 3-inning save.
- Matt McBride, DH-Akron: 1-3, HR (17), 3 RBI. Quietly amassed 64 RBI this season, pushing for a move up to Columbus.
- Jason Kipnis, 2B-Akron: 1-4, R, E (9). The story here isn't the 1-4, but the 9th error for Kipnis. He's projected as a major league average defender down the road, which will be plenty considering what he brings to the table with his bat.
- Jordan Henry, OF-Akron: 3-4, 2 2B, R. Leadoff hitter did a great job setting the table for Kipnis/Chizz/McBride.
- T.J. McFarland, SP-Kinston: W, 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 3 K. Solid outing after giving up 9 ER in last two starts.
- Kyle Bellows, 3B-Kinston: 3-5, 3B, 3 RBI, R. Only extra base hit in the last 10 games for the slugging 3B. Will be another guy to watch for a potential Akron breakout next year.
- Chun Chen, C-Kinston: 1-4, RBI, R, SB. Stolen base for a catcher? Impressive. Carolina League hasn't done much to slow down Chen, who has an .806 OPS for the K-Tribe.
- Doug Pickens, DH-Kinston: 2-4, HR (5), RBI. Mostly DH-ing now that Chen is in Kinston. Hitting just .206 over his last 10 games.
- Anthony Gallas, OF-AZL Indians: 2-3, BB. 22-year old is hitting .303 for AZL Indians, not showing much power though with only .374 SLG.
- Logan Thompson, 2B-AZL Indians: 2-3, K. Doesn't turn 21 for another week. Hitting .296, but slugging just .315.