Around the Farm: June 21, 2011
- Zeke Carrera: CF, Columbus: 2-4, 1 K: Carrera has 15 hits in his last ten games, and has a line of .366/ .477/.488, with six stolen bases.
- Jason Donald: SS, Columbus: 2-3, 1 R, 1 2B: Donald is back with Columbus, and hitting the baseball. It's his second game back, and his 3-7, with two runs and a double.
- Shelley Duncan: 1B, Columbus: 2-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB: Duncan crushed a three-run homer over the left-center field wall for the game winner. By a quick show of hands, if you had to choose between Duncan and Kearns...
- Nick Johnson: DH, Columbus: 0-4, 1 K: Johnson is hitting .237. Sure, he's recovering from an injury, but I just don't see it. It will be interesting to see what the Indians do with him prior to July 1. Will they take on the next Kearns, or will they cut and run.
- Jared Head: LF, Columbus: 1-3, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI: Head got things going yesterday for Columbus with a solo shot in the fifth inning. He continues a solid 2011 campaign with his ninth homer of the season. His ten-game line is .333/.389/.576.
- Nick Hagadone: RP, Columbus: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 K, 1 HR: Hagadone just hasn't been very good since moving up to the Clippers. I'm not saying it's time to give up on the guy or anything, but it is worth watching. Hagadone has given up ten runs in his last seven appearances, over 7 2/3 innings.
- Matt McBride: RF, Akron: 3-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K: McBride continues to litter his stat line with this type of big game. He currently has 12 homers and 42 RBI on the season.
- Beau Mills: 1B, Akron: 2-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI: I would love to hear what Tribe management is saying about Mills. Has he finally figured things out, or is this just a hot streak? Whatever it is, it's good to see Mills become relevant again. There could be a bit more power...but baby steps.
- Kyle Bellows: 3B, Akron: 2-4, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB: Bellows has had a horrid season thusfar, but has been playing great of late. His ten game line is .345/.472/.955. His overall average is only .184, so that should let you know how bad it's been.
- Karexon Sanchez: 2B, Akron: 2-4, 1 R, 1 BB: Sanchez has his average "up" to .231. It's been a tough year for the multi-purpose player.
- Joe Gardner: SP, Akron: 5 1/3 IP, 6 H, 5 R/4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR: Gardner struggled for his third start out of four, and four out of his past six. After Gardner was shut down in April for arm fatigue, this really has to make you wonder if something isn't quite right. Gardner was arguably the best pitcher in the organization last year. This year, not so much.
- Drew Pomeranz: RP, Carolina League All-Stars: 1 IP, 1 BB: Pomeranz had a solid inning of work in the Carolina/California League All-Star game in what may be his last appearance as a member of the K-Tribe.
- Cody Elliot: CF, Mahoning Valley: 2-4, 1 K: Elliot continues a solid season with his third two-hit game in five total.
- Bryson Myles: RF, Mahoning Valley: 2-3, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, SB (2): Myles really is an intriguing prospect. He's one of the sleepers in the 2011 draft, in my humble opinion. He could be an impact bat.
- Bryce Stowell: RP, Mahoning Valley: 2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 3 K, S (1): Heeeee's Baaaack, and so seems his wicked-ness. He moved to the Scrappers because of the all-star break, and continued to look good. Can't wait to see him back up in Columbus.
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.