Around the Farm: June 24, 2014
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Note, it was a quiet night on the farm thanks to Mother Nature. All three of Double-A Akron, Low-A Lake County and short season Single-A Mahoning Valley were postponed because of rain and Triple-A Columbus had their game suspended in the fourth inning (results from that game will post in the next day's ATF.
Cole Sulser (Carolina, SP) - L (2-7), 6 IP, 3 H, 3 R (all earned), 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HR allowed, 1 HBP - All of the runs came on one swing of the bat, but it was an otherwise overall solid performance by Sulser in this one as he earned a quality start. This was a nice rebound outing after a tough start last time out when he allowed 10 runs (9 earned) on 10 hits in 4.1 innings.
- Luigi Rodriguez (Carolina, RF) - 1-3, 2 BB - Lu-Rod continues to have a good eye at the plate as of late (5:7 K:BB ratio in his last 10 games) and benfitted from it on Tuesday reaching base in three of his four plate appearances.
- Yandy Diaz (Carolina, 3B) - 3-5 - Diaz has his third multi-hit game as in last four and pushed his season batting average up over .300 to a healthy .306 mark. He's been swinging a hot bat over his last six games going 11-for-27 during that stretch.
- Joe Sever (Carolina, 1B) - 2-5, 1 K - Joe continues to dominate Carolina League pitching, posting a .397/.465/.444 slash line in 16 games this season and a .447/.523/.500 line in his last 10 games.
- Jerrud Sabourin (Carolina, LF) - 3-4, 1 2B, 1 BB - The Undrafted Wonder breaks out of a 6-for-34 (.176) slump in his last nine games. Performances like this one need to be more commonplace for him because as a player struggling after a demotion he is an easy target for some of the cuts that are likely coming with the large number of draft picks that have been recently signed.
- Ryan Battaglia (DH, Carolina): 0-4, K - Battaglia does not play all that often, but had a chance to get into this game. He has now gone hitless in 10 of the 14 games played with Carolina and is hitting just .128 with a .508 OPS in 15 combined games between Carolina and Low-A Lake County this season.
- Rob Nixon (Carolina, RP) - 2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (all earned), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR allowed - See above. All six runs the Mudcats gave up on the night came off of two swings thanks to them being three-run homers. Nixon needs to pitch much better than this because he is on the immediate roster bubble with all the new players recently added to the organization.
- Benny Suarez (Carolina, RP) - 1 IP, 2 H, 1 K, 1 WP - Suarez rebounds nicely from two tough outings has prior two times out. He's another guy that can ill afford a slip up at this time and will need to be lights out in order to stick around.