Around the Farm: May 1st
What a game for Chun Chen! If the Aeros are going to produce offensively, Chen will need to have more performances like this one. He hit his third and fourth homers of the season and was on base all five times. Chen has now upped his average to .288 and his on-base percentage to .316 and has taken over the team lead in RBI.
Austin Adams-SP, Akron: W (2), 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 8 K
This has been the Austin Adams that Double-A has waited to see. Adams went deep into the contest and while he walked three, only gave up one run and three hits and struck out eight in an impressive win. Adams is now 2-2 on the season and second on the team in innings pitched. His ERA is 3.09 and behind just Kelvin De La Cruz among the four starters in the rotation.
- Ezequiel Carrera-CF, Columbus: 2-for-6, R, RBI: The spark plug in Columbus' lineup has been on base in seven straight games and nine of his last ten.
- Jason Donald-SS, Columbus: 3-for-4, R 3 RBI, 2B, BB: Jason Donald has been waiting all year to have a game like this. Donald has been rehabbing between Akron and Columbus all year and is now a regular member of the Clippers roster. Donald knocked in his first runs with the Clippers this season.
- Jason Kipnis-2B, Columbus: 2-for-4, 2 R, RBI, 2B, BB, K: After a quiet start, the second baseman is starting to find himself at the plate. He has three multi-hit games in his past six.
- Luke Carlin-C, Columbus: 1-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, BB, K: For a backup catcher, Luke Carlin is really productive. He's played in 16 games this season and has knocked in 10 runs off a .340 average. He walks more than he strikes out and has also scored 11 runs.
- Jerad Head-LF, Columbus: 3-for-5, R, RBI, K: Super sub Jerad Head does nothing but produce when called upon. He's hitting .361 on the season in 16 games with 10 RBI.
- David Huff-SP, Columbus: W (3), 7 IP, 4 H, 3 R, BB, 2 K: Say what you will about David Huff, but he's undefeated on the year, improving to 3-0 after another solid start. Huff gets the necessary run support, but doesn't get hit too hard. Probably his best effort to date, walking just one hitter and going seven.
- Frank Herrmann-RP, Columbus: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K: Frank Herrmann will need more appearances like these if he wants to get back to the big leagues and stay there. Herrmann claimed strikeout victims of five of the six hitters he faced.
- Jordan Henry-CF, Akron: 3-for-5, R, BB, SB: Henry continues to swipe bases, stealing his seventh on the season and for the second straight game.
- John Drennen-RF, Akron: 3-for-3, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB: Drennen was on base all five times as well, recording three hits and knocking in a pair of runs.
- Karexon Sanchez-2B, Akron: 2-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI: The rarely used infielder knocked in his fourth and fifth runs of the year, but is still hitting .105 on the season.
- Bo Greenwell-LF, Kinston: 2-for-4, R, 2B, K: Bo Greenwell quietly just collects hits in the middle of the Kinston lineup. He's now hitting .313 on the season.
- Abner Abreu-RF, Kinston: 2-for-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, 2 SB: Looks like Abner Abreu is starting to heat up a bit at the plate. He's 6 for his last 15 with four RBI and his average is now up to .273 on the season.
- Drew Pomeranz-SP, Kinston: 5.1 IP, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 7 K: Another fantastic start from Drew Pomeranz, who has shown the issues with his cramps in his last start were nothing serious. Pomeranz has struck out an incredible 34 hitters to just seven walks in 23 innings.
- Travis Turek-RP, Kinston: W (3), 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, K: Travis Turek was great in relief yet again, picking up his third win of the season.
- Preston Guilmet-RP, Kinston: S (3), IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K: Finally, Preston Guilmet notched himself a save, after finally getting an opportunity. Guilmet has yet to give up an earned run on the season.
- Carlos Moncrief-CF, Lake County: 1-for-3, HR, RBI, 2 BB, K, SB: He is a leadoff hitter more known for his speed, but he continues to match his stolen bases and his home runs. Moncrief led off the game with a home run and would later steal his fourth home run.
- Argenis Martinez-2B, Lake County: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, BB, 3 SB: Argenis Martinez was on a rampage, stealing three bases against Lansing. They didn't lead to any runs scored, but he Martinez himself did knock two in.
- Nick Bartolone-SS, Lake County: 0-for-2, RBI, SB: Nick Bartolone was hitless, but he did steal a base and knock in a run through a sac-fly. He also didn't commit any errors, which has been hard to do lately for him.
- Cole Cook-SP, Lake County: W (1) 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 4 K: Wins have been hard to come by for Cole Cook this season, but it certainly hasn't been his fault. Cook has been searching not just for his first win of the season but his first professional win entirely. He finally got it Sunday.
- Nick Sarianides-RP, Lake County: S (1), 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K: The Captains reliever picked up his third career save as he continues a solid season for Lake County.