Around the Farm: May 21
Chad Huffman-RF, Columbus: 3-3, 2 R, 2B, 3B, HR, 5 RBI, 1 BB
Huffman's five RBI game wasn't even his season-high. No stranger to the heroic performances, Huffman went off again, nearly hitting for the cycle again the Bulls. Huffman however isn't even the team leader in RBI as that belongs to Cord Phelps. The RBI and hit ended a five game drought for Huffman who has been struggling at the dish.
Tim Fedroff-LF, Akron: 4-6, 3 R, RBI, BB
Two more games, two more additions to Tim Fedroff's hit streak. In the first game, he was 3-3 and scored three runs. He also stole a pair of bases, his second and third of the season. Fedroff has been incredible and is hitting .500 in his last ten games. In addition to his .380 average, Fedroff is carrying a .428 on-base percentage. The average is the Eastern League's highest while the OBP is third highest.
- Jason Kipnis-2B, Columbus: 3-5, R, 3B, 2 RBI: Kipnis has been consistent as of late, but while he had hits in eight of his last nine games, he hadn't had more than one hit until last night.
- Lonnie Chisenhall-3B, Columbus: 1-4, 3 R, BB, K: Lonnie Chisenhall hasn't been producing many runs lately. He's knocked in two in his past 10 games and the three scored Saturday are double what he's scored in the last 10.
- Jerad Head-CF, Columbus: 2-3, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB: Playing in center and batting clean-up with all the shake-up in Columbus, Head scored a pair of runs and also knocked in a few. He was on base four times.
- Corey Kluber-SP, Columbus: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 8 K: It wasn't Kluber's greatest performance, but it was his second win of the season. Kluber also notched a season high in strikeouts with eight.
- Zach Putnam-RP, Columbus: 2 IP, S (6), 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K: Zach Putnam appeared yet again this weekend for another pair of scoreless frames. He struck out three and notched his six save. He should get more opportunities in the ninth, as well as being the next in line for a call to Cleveland.
- Juan Diaz-SS, Akron: 2-4, R, 2 BB, K: Diaz walked twice in the win and scored, and gained both his hits in the loss.
- Matt McBride-1B/DH, Akron: 2-6, 3B, 3 RBI: McBride was the big gun in the Aeros win, knocking in three runs with a bases clearing triple in the seventh.
- Beau Mills-1B/DH, Akron: 1-5, 3B, 2 RBI, 2 BB: Beau Mills joined the triple party and in the process knocked in his first runs of the season.
- T.J. McFarland-SP, Akron: 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 4 K: McFarland took his second loss and was on the rough-end of a pitchers duel. Both pitchers went the distance in the shortened game.
- Paolo Espino-SP, Akron: 5 IP, W (1), 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 K: Meanwhile Paolo Espino was on the fortunate end of a lot of run support, but his pitching performance certainly was worthy of the win. Espino gave up just the run through five innings and struck out six for his first of the season. Espino made the spot-star with the second double-header in three days being played.
- Casey Frawley-2B, Kinston: 1-4, R, HR, RBI, 2 K: For awhile, it looked like Casey Frawley's first inning solo home run would be all the K-Tribe needed.
- Brett Brach-SP, Kinston: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K: And that would be because Brett Brach was lock-down. He allowed just three base-runners through his seven scoreless innings and was lined up for a win.
- Tyler Sturdevant-RP, Kinston: 1.1 IP, L (2), 4 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 2 K: Sturdevant not only gave up Brach's lead, he ended up losing it in walk-off fashion in the ninth when he served up a two-run blast to Tyler Kolodny.
- Carlos Moncrief-RF, Lake County: 0-4, RBI, 4 K: He managed to knock in a run with a sac-fly but Carlos Moncrief was one of two Captains to strike out four times on the night. Ronny Rodriguez was the other.
- Nick Bartolone-SS, Lake County: 2-4, R, 3B, RBI, BB, K: A nice game for shortstop Nick Bartolone, who knocked in one of the two Captains runs and scored the other.
- Michael Goodnight-SP, Lake County: 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 K: Michael Goodnight does it again, striking out at least five hitters for the sixth time this season. Goodnight has struck out at least six hitters in three of his last four starts. Unfortunately he didn't get the win.
- Dale Dickerson-RP, Lake County: 3 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K: And unfortunately for Dickerson, a throwing error helped a runner advance and eventually score to tie the game. Although Dickerson bounced back with two more scoreless innings.