Around the Farm: November 10, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Arizona Fall League
- Ronny Rodriguez (SS, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-4. Diehard Tribe prospect followers were in for a treat Saturday as the MLB Network televised the Scottsdale Scorpions game against the Surprise Saguaros. Unfortunately for Tribe fans, only one Indians prospect was in action, shortstop Ronny Rodriguez. On the night, Rodriguez went 0-for-4, and he has now gone without a hit in his last two contests. Overall, the right-handed hitter has gone 14-for-58 in 15 games. The thing to remember with Rodriguez is that he is still a very young hitter who is refining his skills and approach. He seemed to be perhaps a tad too anxious on Saturday, which resulted in some easy outs. In particular, in his at-bat in the eight inning, he swung at the first pitch he saw, which happened to be high and out of zone. It was a less than desired at-bat that ended with a less than desired result: a flyout to left field. Still, it is also hard to fault Rodriguez for being so anxious. Up until two days ago, he was riding an eight-game hit streak, so he’s probably hungry to start another. One thing is clear: He certainly has the look and body of a Major League player.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (PH-LF, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-2, 1 K. Campbell has had a rough start to his ABL season. He’s only two games in, but he has yet to record a hit.
- Ryan Battaglia (C, Brisbane Bandits): 0-for-3, 1 BB, 2 K. Battaglia made his debut with Brisbane in Saturday’s contest. The right-handed hitting catcher is coming off a season with the AZL Indians in which he hit .214/.382/.417 in 29 games. The average leaves a lot to be desired, but of his 18 hits, he recorded four doubles, two triples and three home runs.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-3, E. Unfortunately for Petit, his three-game hit streak did not last long as it ended after Friday’s 0-fer. Overall, Petit is hitting .195, and he has committed five errors.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): Game 1: 0-for-1. In the first game against Leones del Escogido, Diaz only got one at-bat and was unfortunately unable to muster any offense.
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): Game 2: 0-for-3, 1 K. Things only got worse for Diaz in the second contest as he did not record a hit in three attempts. He has now gone hitless in his last three contests, and his average has taken somewhat of a hit as he has gone just 9-for-43 in 17 games.
- Yan Gomes (C-3B, Toros del Este): 0-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K. The newly acquired Gomes was again in action on Saturday, and he showed off some of his versatility as he played at both catcher and shortstop in the contest. Unfortunately, that was about the only thing he showed off as he did not record a hit and has now gone 11-for-56 in 16 games.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.