Around the Farm: November 11, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz: SS, Estrellas de Oriente: 2-for-4, 2 RBI: Diaz is slowly starting to come out of his winter league funk. While he went hitless in his last three games, he’s gone 6-for-19 over his last six games, with three multi-hit ballgames. Diaz can play, and he shouldn’t be overlooked in 2013 as a potential fill-in or utility player, should the Indians need one, but he’ll just be a bridge to Ronny Rodriguez/Tony Wolters/Francisco Lindor/Jose Ramirez.
- Jose Ramirez: SS, Toros del Este: 2-for-4, 1 R, 3 RBI, 1 BB: I don’t think there’s any question with regards to the legitimacy of Jose Ramirez as a prospect. He entered the Indians organization hitting, and has never stopped. His ten game hit streak was snapped on Saturday, so he made up for it on Sunday with two more hits. Overall, Ramirez is hitting 14-for-36 (.389), with two doubles, seven RBI, eight walks, two stolen bases, and only six K’s. He can play multiple infield positions, and the only question that remains is just how well does he compare to guys like Lindor and Paulino?
- Yan Gomes: C, Toros del Este: 0-for-3: Gomes hasn’t exactly taken off since the Indians have acquired him. Over his past seven games, he’s 2-for-21, with four runs, a homer and three RBI.
Roberto Clemente League (Puerto Rican Winter League)
- Rob Bryson: RP, Criollos de Caguas: 1 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K: It is what it is with regards to Bryson. He’ll often have games in which he won’t give up runs, but those games are generally riddled with control issues. He’s now pitched in two games without given up a run, and has struck out three in two innings. He’s also walked five.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Gregorio Petit: SS, Leones del Caracas: 1-for-3, 1 R: Petit is 5-for-15, with three runs and three doubles over his last five games. While he’s playing better of late, he has a .205/.300/.295 slash line overall.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell: LF, Brisbane Bandits: 2-for-3, 1 BB: Campbell recorded his first hits of the Australian League season, and his first multi-hit game. The 20-year-old made his first appearance in Mahoning this season, and struggled to a .167 average. Obviously, he’ll need to step up his game next season, or the Australian League will be his full-time gig.
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.