Around the Farm: November 13, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Australian Baseball League was off on Tuesday.
Arizona Fall League
- Carlos Moncrief (DH, Scottsdale Scorpions): 1-for-4, 2 R, 2B, BB, K. Moncrief kept his strikeout streak alive and has now struck out at least once in all 10 games he has played in the AFL this fall. After a hot start in his first 2 games where he went 4-for-8 with a 2B and HR, he has since gone 3-for-31 in his last 8 games with 15 strikeouts.
- T.J. House (SP, Scottsdale Scorpions): 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R/ER, 1 BB, 5 K. House got the win and threw 49 of his 77 pitches for strikes (63.6%). This was his final outing of the fall and he finishes his AFL campaign with a 3-1 record and 3.00 ERA in 6 starts. He was very good this fall and really only had one subpar outing (hit last time out on November 7th when he allowed 4 runs in 5.0 innings). Overall he pitched 27.0 innings and allowed 20 hits (.208 BAA), no home runs, 9 walks, and piled up 26 strikeouts – the low hit rate and no home runs allowed is VERY impressive considering the league is often a launching pad for offense. The showing this fall and earlier this season at High-A Carolina and Double-A Akron (10-5, 3.56 ERA, 27 GS) is very encouraging, and it could pay off with him being rostered next week.
Dominican Winter League
- Tim Fedroff (LF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0-for-4, R, BB, K. Fedroff has not had a very good showing so far this offseason in the Dominican hitting just .239 in 19 games and 18 strikeouts in 71 at bats. He had a very good season at Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus this season, but will it be enough to get him rostered next week?
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 1-for-4. Ramirez now has a hit in 12 of his 13 games played this fall, but his average dropped to .381 because of the single hit on the night. He is the talk of the offseason for the Indians thanks to his good showing at such a young age where not only is he racking up the hits, but he also has a very nice walk-to-strikeout ratio with 8 walks to just 6 strikeouts in 42 at bats.
- Juan Diaz (Estrelles de Oriente): 0-for-3, K. Diaz continues to play solid defense but offers up little offense to speak of. He’s depth for the Indians at shortstop, but they better hope they never have to rely on him for an extended period of time because his bat is not cut out to be in the lineup every day in the big leagues. He just does not make enough consistent contact, have much power, and does not walk very much.
Venezuela Winter League
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 2-for-4, 3 R, 2B. This was arguably Petit’s best game this fall as he got on base twice and scored three runs. Even with the good showing he is still hitting .229 in 16 games, and has yet to record an RBI.
- Hector Rondon (RP, Leones del Caracas): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. Rondon actually got the win in middle relief, and once again had another solid outing. This is his 8th straight appearance where he has not allowed a run and over that span has logged 7.2 innings and yielded 2 hits and 1 walk, though only has 2 strikeouts.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.