Here is a quick recap of how the players in the Cleveland Indians' system did in fall/winter league action on Thursday November 18th:
- Scott Barnes - SP, Peoria Javelinas: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K. Another oustanding outing for the young lefty from Springfield, MA. Barnes wraps up his AFL resume with 7 starts going 4-1 with a 3.65 ERA (24.2 IP, 23 H, 7 BB, 28 K). His 4 wins were tied for the AFL lead, and he finished 3rd in strikeouts.
- Cord Phelps - 3B, Peoria Javelinas: 0-for-3, SB. Blatant Rocky IV reference: "YOU SEE! He's not a machine, he's a man!" Phelps proved mortal in the final game of the AFL regular season, though still put up some sick numbers during his time out there (.367/.474/.557).
- Bryan Price - RP, Peoria Javelinas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K. Price finished strong in the AFL as after allowing 9 runs (6 earned) in his first four outings covering 4.2 innings, in his final five appearances he allowed 1 run (1 earned) in 8.0 innings.
- Jose Constanza - CF, Toros del Este: 3-for-4, 2 R, SB. While Constanza is a free agent and unlikely to resign with the Indians, we are still keeping tabs on him in the meantime. This was his second straight game going 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Josh Judy - RP, Aguilas Cibaenas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. Judy with his 5th save in 11 outings in the Dominican Republic. He has now gone 11.0 innings and faced 41 batters without allowing a walk.
- Matt McBride - RF-1B, Gigantes del Cibao: 0-for-5, RBI, K. This makes two straight 0-fers for Mcbride, who is now 0-for-9 in his last two games.
- Lucas Montero - PR-LF, Gigantes del Cibao: 0-for-1. Montero was a late game pinch-hitting option and stayed in the game for defense.
- Ezequiel Carrera - CF, Navegantes del Magallanes: 0-for-1, HBP. Carrera was hit by a pitch in the 3rd inning and was promptly removed from the game. No word yet on if it was just for precautionary reasons or if he is expected to miss any significant time.
- Karexon Sanchez - 3B, Leones del Caracas: 0-for-2, 2 K. With Jared Goedert leaving his Caracas team and returning to the states last week, Sanchez has since replaced him on the roster.
- Luis Valbuena - 2B, Cardenales de Lara: 0-for-4. After jumping over .200 for what seems like the first time this century, another 0-fer puts Valbuena back to a .196 average in 27 games in Venezuela.
Note: The Indians' players in the AFL are not done yet as the Peoria Javelinas will play for the AFL Championship in the one game playoff on Saturday at 1:00 PM MST.