Around the Farm: November 20, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Australian Baseball League was off Tuesday and two games in the Puerto Rican Winter League were postponed.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-4, SB. Petit went hitless in his four at-bats and has now hit .233 in 22 games.
- Luis Hernandez (2B, Tigres de Aragua): 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K. The switch-hitting Hernandez was recently acquired by the Indians, and he has really done a phenomenal job thus far in the VWL. So far, in seven games, Hernandez has gone 8-for-23 with three doubles.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 1-for-4, 1 BB. After having his modest four-game hit streak snapped on Monday, Carrera was right back at it on Tuesday as he recorded one base knock. Overall, in six games, Carrera has gone 7-for-24 and has recorded a hit in every game he has played outside of Monday’s contest.
Dominican Winter League
- Nick Hagadone (RP, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0 IP, 1 H, 2 R/1 ER, 1 BB. The performance was certainly less than stellar, but on the positive side of things, it’s great to see Hagadone back in action. Unfortunately, things just did not go too smoothly for Hagadone as he faced two hitters in the seventh inning and allowed a two-RBI single to the first hitter before walking the next hitter. It will be interesting to see how often he pitches in the DWL from here on out. After Tuesday's outing, he can only go up.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Roberto Perez (C, Indios de Mayaguez): 0-for-2, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K. Perez played in his sixth game on Tuesday in the PWL, and he has now gone 5-for-21. Perez is known for his defense, so hopefully he can use his time in the PWL to hone his offensive game.
Steve can be reached via email at email@example.com.