Around the Farm: November 23, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in winter ball did yesterday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Luis Hernandez (SS, Tigres de Aragua): 2-for-5, 1 R, 1 K. Say what you will about Hernandez since he was recently signed by the Indians, but no one can criticize his performances in the early going. So far, in nine games, Hernandez has gone 11-for-31. Worst case scenario, Hernandez is another Gregorio Petit, but there’s no reason to believe he cannot be more than that.
- Eric Berger (SP, Bravos de Margarita): 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R/ER, 3 BB, 6 K. Berger has been one of the most impressive Indians pitchers in winter ball this fall, and that stayed true on Friday. So far, in six games, Berger has posted a 2.73 ERA in 29.2 innings of work.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 0-for-5, 1 K. Carrera has had an impressive winter season, but Friday was likely one game he would like to have back. Carrera recorded his fourth strikeout of the winter season and has now gone 12-for-38 in nine games.
Dominican Winter League
- Nick Hagadone (RP, Aguilas Cibaenas): 1 IP, 1 K. Hagadone made great strides from his first appearance in the DWL where he faced two batters and allowed a hit and a walk. The verdict on Hagadone’s winter ball performance remains unknown, especially considering the fact that he’s pitching for the first time since he broke his wrist in the dugout during the 2012 season, but it’s certainly a positive sign that he’s out there pitching.
- Chad Huffman (RF, Toros del Este): 2-for-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K. Huffman made his debut with Toros del Este Friday, and he really put together a solid performance. During the 2012 season, Huffman posted a .282/.350/.453 line in 67 games with Triple-A Columbus.
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 2-for-3, 1 3B. Diaz’ performance was a welcome break on Friday, especially since the shortstop had gone 2-for-12 in his last five games before Friday’s contest.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Joseph Colon (SP, Cangrejeros de Santurce): (L, 0-2), 3 IP, 4 H, 4 R/3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. On paper, Colon’s performance may leave a lot to be desired, but he did manage to record seven strikeouts in just three innings, which has to be considered a positive. So far, Colon has posted a 4.50 ERA in eight innings of work in the PWL.
Steve can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.