Around the Farm: November 5, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. The Venezuela Winter League was off last night.
Arizona Fall League
- Ronny Rodriguez (2B, Scottsdale Scorpions): 1-for-4, K, SB. Rodriguez has had a steady showing with the bat hitting .271 (13-for-48) with 5 extra base hits and 4 stolen bases in 12 games this fall, but the glaring statistic is his 0 walks and 12 strikeouts. He is a Single-A player playing up a level or two in competition this fall in the AFL, so he is getting a good first taste at some of the pitching he will face next year at Double-A Akron. Developing his patience and pitch recognition skills continues to be his main focus, and will continue to be so next season.
- Carlos Moncrief (RF, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-4, K. The results have been mixed in a limited showing so far for Moncrief as he started out 5-for-13 in his first 3 games, but in his 3 games since has been held hitless with 8 strikeouts in 12 at bats.
- Alex Monsalve (C, Scottsdale Scorpions): 2-for-3, R, 2B, RBI, K, SB. Monsalve is heating up a little out in the Arizona sun as he is owns a modest 4-game hitting streak and has had multi-hit games in 3 of his last 4 games going 7-for-13 at the plate over that span. The stolen base is his second this fall, though more a product of the situation as his Scottsdale manager put him in motion with two strikes and he was able to make it on a swinging strikeout.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (2B, Toros del Este): 2-for-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K. Ramirez recently turned 20 years old in September and had a breakout campaign last season with a very strong year at Low-A Lake County (.354 AVG, .869 OPS), and is off to a very good start this fall. He has now played in 6 games in the DWL and is a healthy 7-for-17 with 4 walks in limited action, and has received a lot more playing time over the past week as he has played in his team’s last 4 games.
- Tim Fedroff (LF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 3-for-4. Fedroff entered the game just 7-for-32 (.219) in his last 9 games, so a multi-hit game is great to see - his first since his first game back on October 14th. He is hitting a healthy .286 this offseason and also has 8 walks, though just 1 of his 16 hits have gone for an extra base.
- Danny Salazar (SP, Tigres del Licey): 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR. This was Salazar’s 4th appearance of the fall, and was the first outing he really struggled. To date, he has an ordinary 4.50 ERA, but his peripherals are very good to outstanding where in 10.0 innings he has allowed 10 hits, 3 walks, and has 13 strikeouts.
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 1-for-2, R, 2B, K. Diaz was pinch hit for to lead off the bottom of the 7th inning, but got a much needed hit as he has really struggled at the plate this fall. Coming into the game he had been held hitless in 7 of his last 8 games, and is now just 5-for-28 (.179) in 12 games.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.