Around The Farm: October 11, 2014
Around the Farm takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Cleveland prospects throughout the system. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
- Alex Monsalve (Bravos de Margarita, C) - 2-4, 1 K - Monsalve has a multi-hit night in his first significant action of the winter season.
- Giovanny Urshela (Aguilas del Zulia, 3B) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 E - Urshela continues his hot start to the Venezuelan League campaign with his first homer and second RBI, as well as his second multi-hit game in three contests. Yes, it is early, but he is posting a 1.000 OPS in LVBP thus far this winter.
- Carlos Moncrief (Aguilas del Zulia, RF) - 3-3, 1 R, 1 2B - As hot as Urshela is, Moncrief is even hotter out of the gate in the Caribbean, as he has multiple hits in all three games he has played in and is posting a .700/.727/.800 slash line. While this level of performance will obviously not last for the entire offseason, it is a promising sign of what he is capable of at this level.
ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE (AFL)
- Francisco Lindor (SS) - 2-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K - Lindor makes it two multi-hit games in a row as his adjustment period to the AFL seems to be shorter than it has been at other levels. Hopefully, this solid form continues.
- Tony Wolters (C) - 1-5, 1 2B, 3 RBI - Tony may have only had one hit on the night, but it was a big one as he hit a bases-clearing double in the top of the seventh, scoring three runners, including Lindor.
- Jordan Smith (RF) - 0-4, 2 K - Smith's early season downward trend hits rock-bottom with an 0-fer and multiple strikeouts. The good news is that he has nowhere to go but up from this performance.
- Dylan Baker (SP) - L (0-1), 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (earned), 1 K, 1 HR - Don't pay attention to the "L" at the start of the statline. This is about as hard-luck as a loss can get (one bad pitch combined with a lack of run support).
- Grant Sides (RP) - 1 IP, perfect, 2 K - Grant's second AFL outing of the fall season is a perfect fifth inning with two called strikeouts to end the frame.
- Louis Head (RP) - 1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (both earned), 2 K - On the other end of the spectrum from both Sides' outing tonight and Head's own AFL season debut on Thursday, when he struck the side out in order, is this eighth inning mess that put the game out of the Javelinas' reach.
he had a decent year in AAA and a good year considering his first taste... it's an adjustment going to different levels and need to take that into account
Question I had was why was he not a September call up? JB Shuck was somehow a priority?