Around the Farm: October 16, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday. Note, the Dominican Winter League was in action on Monday night but no Indians’ players played in any of the games.
Arizona Fall League
- Alex Monsalve (C, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-4. Monsalve is just 1-for-12 so far in 3 games. Like Rodriguez, Monsalve is another player with zero experience above Single-A getting significant playing time in the AFL. In years past it was almost unheard of to have any player below Double-A to make an AFL roster, but those rules have been much more lax of late, which is why Single-A players like Monsalve, Rodriguez, Carlos Moncrief and even Danny Salazar (who pitched all but 5-6 weeks of the season in Single-A). Monsalve is inexperienced and still finding himself as a player, so some struggles are expected in the AFL as he will often be overmatched against some good pitching from the upper levels of the minors.
- Ronny Rodriguez (SS, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-4, 2 K, E. Ronny Rod is now 3-for-16 in 4 games so far in the AFL, and in his last two games is 0-for-8 with 4 strikeouts. One of the concerns I had with his announcement to the team was that he may be overmatched since he is not used to this caliber of pitching, and so far those concerns have been warranted. That said, I expect him to make the necessary corrections over the next week or so and then have a strong finish the final 2-3 weeks.
- Tyler Holt (LF, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-1, BB. Holt was a mid-game substitution coming in for left fielder Adalberto Santos in the top of 7th inning. He is off to a solid start in the AFL going 4-for-12 with 3 walks in 5 games.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Jesus Aguilar (DH, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-4, 3 K. This is a bigger offseason than you may think for Aguilar as he had a solid but unspectacular season this year coming off a very good 2011 campaign in the minors and especially in the offseason. Another good showing in Venezuela this winter should help solidify him as a good B-grade prospect for the Indians. He is not off to a good start as he is 3-for-16 with 9 strikeouts in 5 games.
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-4, 2B. Petit is a minor league free agent but is still technically property of the Indians, so until he officially signs elsewhere we will continue to note his performances this offseason. This was his first taste of game action in Venezuela, and he is coming off a solid 2012 campaign at Triple-A Columbus where he hit .260 with 10 HR, 45 RBI and 7.23 OPS.
- Eric Berger (SP, Bravos de Margarita): 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR. Berger is coming off an underwhelming showing this season in 31 combined appearances for Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus this season (2-9, 5.27 ERA), but got off to a good start in his 2012 winter ball debut. He made just one mistake on the night serving up a solo home run, but set down the other 12 batters he faced with ease.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.