Around the Farm: October 22, 2014
Marquina’s VWL debut highlights the night on the farm
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of yesterday’s performances by Indians prospects throughout the system. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday’s game.
Here is the rundown of what Cleveland players in fall and winter ball did yesterday:
Arizona Fall League
- Nick Maronde (RP, Peoria): 1.1 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR. In five games in the AFL, Maronde has two shutout outings, one solid appearance, and two like this. More importantly than the raw results, however, the right left-hander is looking to get some innings and reps in after only throwing 47.1 innings in 2014.
- Francisco Lindor (SS, Peoria): 1-for-4, 1 E. A pretty uneventful night for Lindor (outside of the error), who has put up a solid .292/.333/.417 line in 11 AFL games so far.
- Jordan Smith (RF, Peoria): 1-for-4, 1 RBI, 2 SO. Smith’s night was also pretty uneventful, though the right fielder is struggling in Arizona like he did in Double-A this season (.239/.286/.348 line in 11 AFL games).
Venezuelan Winter League
- Yoiber Marquina (RP, Cardenales de Lara): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 SO. Marquina got his first winter ball action in mop-up duty for Cardenales de Lara on Wednesday, pitching late in a blowout. Even though Marquina was not pitching in a high-leverage situation, however, seeing the right-hander (who only has one season as a pitcher under his belt) get any innings in the competitive VWL -- where teams are looking to win more than develop players -- is nice to see.
- Alex Monsalve (C, Bravos de Margarita): 0-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB. Typically the backup, Monsalve got a start here and reached base once. Getting on base has not been an issue for Monsalve this offseason (he owns a .385 on-base percentage), but the 22-year-old is still looking for his first extra-base hit.
Dominican Winter League
- Tyler Naquin (CF, Gigantes del Cibao): 1-for-3, 1 SO. Like Maronde, the most important thing for Naquin right now is shaking some rust off and getting reps in after missing all of July and August with a broken hand.
- Ronny Rodriguez (PR-2B, Estrellas de Oriente): 0-for-0. More pinch running for Rodriguez, who does not have an at-bat in any of the four games he has appeared in this offseason.
- Andy Marte (3B, Aguilas Cibaenas): 2-for-4, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SO. Today on our trip down nostalgia lane we visit with Marte, who has five extra-base hits in four games in the DWL after briefly making it back to the majors in 2014.
If you want to follow Jim on Twitter, he’s @JimPiascik. If you want to e-mail him, you can do so at email@example.com. If you want to read his Master's thesis on college athletes and Twitter, you can do so here.
do you like this Marquina pitcher??