Around the Farm: October 24, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Arizona Fall League
- Alex Monsalve (C, Scottsdale Scorpions): 0-for-3, 2 K. A tough day for Monsalve, though not unexpected considering his inexperience facing more advanced pitching. He is now just 3-for-22 in 6 games and has yet to get an extra base hit. He also was 1-for-3 throwing out basestealers in the game.
- Matt Packer (RP, Scottsdale Scorpions): 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 1 BB, 0 K. Packer has been consistent so far going 2.0 innings in each of his four outings and has not allowed more than a run in any of them. He is getting outs on the ground at a ridiculous rate so far (4.33 GO/AO), which helps offset the fact his stuff and velocity is all still coming back after his shoulder injury in the spring.
Dominican Winter League
- Tim Fedroff (LF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 1-for-5, CS, PO. Fedroff has now recorded a hit in all 6 games he has played this offseason. He had a baserunning boo-boo in the 3rd inning as he was picked off first base and thrown out at second base. He also had a bunt pop out in the 5th inning.
Venezuela Winter League
- Vidal Nuno (RP, Aguilas del Zulia): 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. It is nice from time to time to check in on some past friends of the IPI, and boy has Nuno really pitched well since being released by the Indians at the end of spring training in 2011. He opened the 2011 season in Indy ball and then got picked up by the Yankees and pitched for their short season Single-A NY-Penn League team Staten Island and their South Atlantic League team (Low-A) and went 7-1 with a 1.38 ERA in 15 appearances (65.0 IP). He came back this season and in 31 combined appearances at High-A and Double-A he went 10-6 with a 2.54 ERA with a 2.1 BB/9 and 8.2 K/9. He is a soft-tosser from the left side, but perhaps the Indians were a little quick on the trigger finger to release him?
- Jesus Aguilar (1B, Leones del Caracas): 0-for-2, K. Things have not gotten off on the right foot for Aguilar this offseason. Last season he had a memorable showing in the Arizona Fall League and Venezuela Winter League, but in 10 games this year he is just 7-for-33 (.212) with an amazing 17 strikeouts. Things are so bad he was lifted for a pinch hitter in the 7th inning of a tie game.
- Gregorio Petit (SS, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-3. Petit has yet to really do much in Venezuela as he is just 3-for-19 in 6 games and has yet to have a multi-hit game.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.