Around the Farm: October 28, 2012
Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Dominican Winter League
- Juan Diaz: SS, Estrellas de Oriente: 0-for-0: Diaz came in as a defensive substitution in the bottom of the eighth inning, and never stepped up to the plate in Estrellas’s 5-0 victory.
- Tim Fedroff: LF, Aguilas Cibaenas: 0-for-4, 2 K: This was Fedroff’s first game without a hit. The New Jersey native also saw his winter league average drop to .242 on the season.
- Bartolo Colon: SP, Aguilas Cibaenas: 4 1/3, 5 H, 2 K: Colon is coming back from his 50-game suspension for using performance enhancers (still has five games left), and has been pitching well in the winter leagues. He was doing the same today when he got drilled in the mouth by a line drive, and was taken to the hospital. Let’s hope Bart’s okay. As of right now, there is no news on his condition.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Eric Berger: SP, Bravos de Margarita: L (0-2), 6 2/3 IP, 5 H, 1 R/ER, 4 K: Berger took the loss, but he had his most productive start of the winter leagues. Overall, he’s gone 0-2, with 13 2/3 IP, having given up nine total runs, with only five earned. He’s also struck out 11, while walking only one. Pretty solid numbers for a guy that’s toiled in the minors for the past five years.
- Hector Rondon: RP, Leones del Caracas: H (1), 1 IP: Rondon has been beat up a bit in his time in the winter leagues, but his numbers are a bit skewed by his first outing in which he gave up four runs in 1/3 of an inning. Since then, he’s gone 4 1/3 innings, giving up only four hits, three runs (two earned) and a walk, while striking out only one batter. Those aren’t bad numbers for a guy coming off a missed season. Perhaps the pen is a legit option for the former top prospect.
Jim is currently the senior editor and Columnist, as well as the host of IBI's weekly online radio shows, Smoke Signals and Cleveland Sports Insiders. You can follow Jim on Twitter @Jim_IBI, or contact him via e-mail at email@example.com.