Around the Farm: Sept 2
Jason Kipnis-2B, Akron: 1-3, BB, K. In the AFL this year, we'll get a chance to see how Kipnis stacks up against the other high-profile OF turned 2B out of the 2009 draft, Dustin Ackley. Ackley was drafted 61 spots earlier than Kipnis, but their performance so far has been pretty similar. Ackley is hitting .267/.367/.404, but started this year at AA and is now in AAA. Kipnis has a better line of .311/.397/.497, but he started in A+ and is now in AA. It will be interesting to see how these two stack up, both in Arizona and down the road as they move through their respective systems.
David Huff/Aaron Laffey/Jess Todd-P, Columbus: 9 IP, 8 H, 5 K, BB
- Josh Rodriguez-SS, Columbus: 3-5, 2 2B, RBI, R. Rodriguez stays hot, now with 12 hits including 4 2B, a 3B and a HR in his last 5 games.
- Jared Goedert-DH, Columbus: 1-4, RBI, BB, 2 R. Goedert is limping to the finish line of the regular season, with an OPS of just .716 in August.
- Wes Hodges-1B, Columbus: 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, R. Just .222/.239/.400 over his last 10 games.
- Matt Packer-SP, Akron: 7 IP, 5 H, ER, 8 K, 2 BB. Back-to-back starts with 8 K for Packer, who has a 3.16 ERA in his six Akron appearances. If you throw out the start where he gave up 9 ER in 5 IP, he's allowed just 4 ER in his other 32 IP for the Aeros.
- Jordan Henry-OF, Akron: 2-3, BB, CS. Henry has a 10-game hitting streak going, and he's thrown up a .316/.435/.395 line over that span, with 5 SB. Still waiting on his 1st HR of 2010 though.
- Tyler Sturdevant-RP, Kinston: W, 2 IP, H, 3 K. Sturdevant now has 89 K and just 16 BB in 63 IP across both A levels this season.
- Cory Burns-RP, Kinston: S, IP, H, ER, 2 K. Burns gave up a solo HR, but the Carolina League RP of the Year struck out two as well, earning his 28th save for the K-Tribe.
- Bo Greenwell-OF, Kinston: 2-3, 2 BB, R, CS. Greenwell now with four straight multi-hit games (9-18).
- Jeremie Tice-1B, Kinston: 1-4, HR (5), 3 RBI, R, BB. Tice has hits in 6 of his last 7, with 3 HR and 10 RBI.
- Chun Chen-C, Kinston: 0-2, 3 BB. Even without a hit, Chen gets on base 3 times. A 21-year old catcher with more walks (37) than strikeouts (34) in the Carolina League? Yes, please. His OPS for the K-Tribe is up to .971.
- Adam Abraham-DH, Lake County: 2-3, 2B, 2 R, BB, K. Abraham's 2nd year in Lake County is pretty similar to his first, with a .754 OPS in 2010 compared to a .724 mark in 2009.
- Gio Urshela-3B, Mahoning Valley: 1-4, 2 RBI. The 18-year old is hitting .287, despite battling some injuries, and is playing stellar defense for the Scrappers.