Around the Farm: September 20
Here is a quick look at yesterday's Lake County championship performance. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in yesterday's (playoff) game.
Giovanni Soto - SP, Lake County: 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 9 K.
As one reader accurately noted to me, "Jhonny Peralta finally came through in the clutch!" Soto of course is the player the Indians received from the Tigers in exchange for Peralta, and his acquisition paid big dividends for the Captains the final month and a half of the season. He came up big with a much needed dominating start in a do-or-die Game 5 where through five innings he faced the minimum because of a thrown out runner stealing second and a pickoff of another at first base. He was a strikeout machine and was on his A-game, somthing that he had been off of a little of late because of a late season minor injury to his right tricep. He struggled with the walks in his first two postseason appearances, but overall in 3 postseason appearances he went 0-2 with a 3.86 ERA (11.2 IP, 7 H, 9 BB, 17 K).
Preston Guilmet - RP, Lake County: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5K.
Easily the MPV of the Captains' postseason run because without him closing out some close, crucial games, they don't win this series. He was flat out dominating in the postseason where in six appearances he was 0-0 with 5 saves and a 0.00 ERA, and in 11.2 innings he allowed 3 hits, 2 walks, and had 19 strikeouts. His unique straight over the top delivery gave hitters fits where the ball bore in on them on a downward plan and was tough to pickup and make contact with. The fact he was brought in the game in the 7th inning to earn a three inning save shows how much confidence manager Ted Kubiak had in him, and just how dominating he was not only in the playoffs, but this season as well where in 30 games he was 4-1 with 11 saves and a 2.25 ERA (52.0 IP, 35 H, 10 BB, 79 K).
- Delvi Cid - CF, Lake County: 0-for-3, R, BB, 2 K, SB. His one out walk in the 6th was huge as it put the minor league's top base-stealer on base. He promptly swiped second while injuring his wrist on the play sliding in head first, but stayed in the game and later scored.
- Casey Frawley - SS, Lake County: 2-for-4, RBI. The leader of the Captains came through with the clutch hit to drive in Cid from second with two outs in sixth. In 11 playoff games he hit .326/.396/.457 with a HR and 5 RBI.
- Chase Burnette - LF, Lake County: 2-for-3, 2 R, K. Was the firestarter in two of the three scoring innings for the Captains with leadoff singles in the 5th and 7th innings and scored both times. Late season callup hit .308/.386/.538 with 2 HR and 5 RBI in 11 postseason games.
- Jason Smit - 1B, Lake County: 0-for-2, K. Was robbed of an RBI in the 5th where with runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs he hit into a double play. The run from third still scored, but he was robbed because it was the most brutal call at first I have ever seen, even worse than the Jim Joyce gack. Also had a sac bunt that led to final run.
- Greg Folgia - RF, Lake County: 0-for-2, RBI, K. Sac fly with runners on 2nd and 3rd and one out in 7th tallied final Captains run. Also made a sensational running catch at the right-center field wall in the 8th inning.
- Tyler Holt - DH, Lake County: 0-for-4. Was limited in playoffs to DH duty because of a minor shoulder injury.
No comments currently. Be the first to comment!