Around the Farm: September 5
Marty Popham/Chris Jones/Cory Burns: 10 IP, 12 K, 3 BB.
Popham, Jones and Burns combined on a 10 inning no-hitter in Woodbridge, VA yesterday. Popham threw the first 7 innings, striking out 8. Jones followed with two hitless frames, adding two K of his own. Then after the K-Tribe managed a run in the top of the 10th, Cory Burns nailed down his 30th save in the Carolina League, striking out the first two batters he faced. The best thing about this game? I was there to see it! Popham was dominant in his 7 innings, as he did not allow a baserunner until walking the leadoff batter in the 7th. He struck out 6 straight Potomac hitters at one point. Unfortunately for Popham, he was stuck with a no-decision, as Jones ended up the pitcher of record. But that doesn't diminish his brilliance yesterday on the mound, and Jones and Burns did a great job picking up where he left off.
- Paolo Espino-SP, Columbus: 4 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 3 K, BB. Espino has had two rough starts out of his seven for the Clippers, and this was one of them.
- Zach Putnam-RP, Columbus: IP, K. Over his last 10 appearances, Putnam has thrown 14 1/3 innings without allowing an earned run.
- Vinnie Pestano-RP, Columbus: IP, K. Since July 1, Pestano has allowed a total of 2 earned runs.
- Nick Hagadone-RP, Akron: IP, BB, 2 K. A much better outing for Hagadone.
- Bryan Price-RP, Akron: 2 IP, H, 2 K. Solid season for Price, with a 3.13 ERA and 69 K in as many innings pitched for Akron.
- Lonnie Chisenhall-3B, Akron: 0-2, 2 BB. No hits for Chizz, but still managed to get on base twice.
- Abner Abreu-OF, Kinston: 2-4, R, K. Abreu was the only Kinston player with more that one hit yesterday, and he scored the game's only run from 2nd base on a single.
- Doug Pickens-DH, Kinston: 1-3, RBI, BB. Pickens drove in Abreu with a sharp single up the middle in the 10th yesterday. He nearly had two hits, but an outstanding defensive play by the Potomac SS robbed him of a single in his prior AB.
- Jason Knapp-SP, Lake County: 3 2/3 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 8 K, 4 BB. Back-to-back poor outings for Knapp, but at least the strikeouts are there. More concerning that the 4 hits are the 4 walks.
- Giovanni Soto-SP, Lake County: 4 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 K, BB. Soto is back after missing a few starts due to arm soreness, and was a little rusty.
- Tyler Holt-OF, Lake County: 0-3, 4 BB, 2 SB, R. No hits for Holt, but he's shown an ability to get on base regardless. His OBP for Lake County is .429 in his 21 games so far.
- Casey Frawley-SS, Lake County: 2-7, HR (13), 4 RBI, 2 R. Frawley is tied for the team lead in HR after popping #13 in the first game of yesterday's doubleheader.
- Anthony Gallas-OF, Mahoning Valley: 3-5, HR (1), 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R, K. Gallas went 1-12 in his first three games after coming up to Mahoning Valley from the AZL, and then exploded yesterday with a huge performance.
- Tyler Cannon-2B, Mahoning Valley: 3-5, 2 2B, RBI, 2 R, K. The 12th round pick out of UVA has struggled in the NYP League, hitting just .201 overall.
- Jesus Aguilar-1B, Mahoning Valley: 3-4, HR (2), 4 RBI, R, BB. Aguilar has been hot lately, as he is riding a 7-game hitting streak in which he is batting .482 (14-29).