MLB Storylines: Carpenter close to signing extension with Cards
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AndrewIBI.
Here are the stories from Thursday, March 6th.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that Cardinals third baseman Matt Carpenter is close to signing an extension. Carpenter is under club control through 2017 and the extension would buy out two free agent seasons. It's believed that the extension is worth between $50-55 million if it's completed.
- Rosenthal also wrote a piece wondering how the Indians could possibly say no to Justin Masterson's proposed extension. Rosenthal's sources told him that Masterson is seeking a three-year extension on top of his current deal at an average annual salary around $17-18 million.
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reported that Shaun Marcum remains limited to bullpen sessions for the Indians. The non-roster invitee is scheduled to throw off a mound again on Saturday.
- Danny Salazar is slated to log one inning in a game environment on Friday morning. He will pitch in an intrasquad "B" game at Cleveland's complex.
News and Notes:
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig has changed agents, hiring Adam Katz and Andy Mota of Wasserman Media Group.
- Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com wrote that the teams still in touch with Ervin Santana include the Mariners, Orioles, Rockies, Rangers, and Blue Jays.
- Jim Hawkins of CSNPHilly.com reported that Cole Hamels' scheduled throwing session was canceled yesterday as he was reported feeling a fatigued arm that wouldn't allow him to go through the throwing motion as he normally would. It's now believed he will miss the entire month of April.
- Rosenthal also reported that James Shields and the Royals are not likely to work out an extension. If Justin Masterson were to sign his extension, it would surely benefit Shields on the open market.
- Heyman reported that the White Sox have already begun getting calls on outfielders Alejandro De Aza and Dayan Viciedo.
Also of note...nearly 4 years ago to the day Justin Upton signed his 6yr/$51.25M deal and nearly 2 years ago to the day Andrew McCutchen signed his 6yr/$51.5M deal...
3 years should be very enticing to the Tribe though, get that the years are a bit of a "discount" but only once in his career has Masterson been worth at least $17M (2011)...don't think it's a discount to give him an AAV of $17-18M. Yeah guys like Sanchez and Bailey got that but Sanchez was better than Masterson and was a free agent with no draft pick attached since he was dealt mid-season (don't understand why he keeps getting compared to Masterson) and Bailey is younger and has been better each of the past two seasons.
$15-16M is more reasonable for what Masterson's market value should be (and even that may be too high). Can't see him getting more than that on the open market, not when comparable pitchers like Ubaldo, Jackson, Nolasco, Garza, etc are getting less than $13M AAV.