MLB Storylines: Garza deal finally complete
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, January 26th.
- The Brewers and Matt Garza have finally agreed to their rumored four-year contract. According the MLB.com's Adam McCalvy, Garza's deal guarantees him $50 million, with $4 million more available in incentives, and a vesting option for a fifth year at $13 million. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel tweeted that the holdup in the contract was a matter of the two sides agreeing on payouts of deferred money and working out details of the 2018 vesting option.
- During a media session, Tribe second baseman Jason Kipnis said that he would "absolutely" be open to discussing a multiyear extension with the Indians. Kipnis stated that Cleveland's front office has not yet talked to him about an extension this year, but he suspects that if an extension were to be discussed, it could be during Spring Training.
Other News and Notes
- Bob Dutton of the News Tribune tweeted that he has heard from industry sources that Matt Garza's new $50 million deal means that Ervin Santana is likely to get no more than $40 million over three years, and possibly much less.
- Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press tweeted that Twins general manager Terry Ryan has said that he still has his eye on a few free agent position players.
- Chase Hughes of Nats Insider reported that Washington second baseman Danny Espinosa has been told by Nationals management that he will have a chance to compete with Anthony Rendon for the starting second base job this spring. Espinosa has been the subject of some trade rumors earlier this winter.
- MLB.com's Mark Sheldon said the Reds general manager Walt Jocketty has made it known that he is not interested in signing outfielder Nelson Cruz, due to the draft pick compensation tied to the veteran power hitter.
- After signing Robinson Cano earlier this offseason, MLB.com's Greg Johns reported that the Mariners are likely to fill out the rest of their team with complimentary pieces. Johns noted that Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik has said that his team is still looking for another starting pitcher, but he does not want to pay the high price for pitchers like Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez. The Mariners are still in the running for starter Scott Baker, along with the Indians, and Johns said that Seattle has had many talks with Nelson Cruz, but contract length and amount, and draft pick compensation are still of concern for the Mariners.
- Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reported that the Mariners have in fact shown interest in Santana, along with the Yankees, Rockies, Dodgers, Orioles, and Cubs. A source also told Cotillo that the Blue Jays remain the most obvious fit for Santana.
- Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times tweeted that Michael Young is still undecided on whether he will play in 2014 or retire, but he did say that if he decides to play, it is a "safe bet" it will be with the Dodgers.
I hope many of you were able to make it out to Tribe Fest this year. It was a great experience for fans of all ages and it brought baseball back to the forefront of all of our minds. In just two short weeks, pitchers and catchers will be reporting to camp and another baseball season will be upon us.
Was wondering, if Cabrera remains with the Indians all year, would Cabrera be worth a draft pick (and if so, what round pick?)? Of course, at this point, I doubt the Indians would even offer Cabrera a QO in fear he would take it, but was curious as to how high of a draft pick he would net if that possibility even existed.
I could see a possible scenario with the Indians resigning Jimenez, potentially trading ACab essentially that would open a spot for Johnson.
Cruz and Morales should have accepted QO . Now they might be this years Kyle Lohse with no when spring training begins.