MLB Storylines: Orioles looking to extend key players
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
With no major signings or trades occurring on Saturday, there are no "Top Stories." Instead, I will give a rundown of all of the day's news and notes.
Here are the stories from Saturday, February 1st.
News and Notes
- According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, the Orioles plan on speaking with shortstop J.J. Hardy about a possible contract extension. Kubatko reported that Baltimore have also attempted to extend Chris Davis, but have not had much success so far.
- Kubatko also said that Baltimore’s executive vice president Dan Duquette responded to rumors about the Orioles being “all in” on A.J. Burnett by saying, “not sure where that report came from.”
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports said that the Angels offered Matt Garza a contract around the Winter Meetings similar to the one he received from Milwaukee, but owner Arte Moreno wanted a quick response and didn’t leave the offer on the table for long.
- In a somewhat surprising move, the Royals designated infielder Emilio Bonifacio for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Bruce Chen.
- Ken Gurnick of MLB.com wrote that Matt Kemp has stated that he will not rush his rehab this time around. Kemp said he did rush the rehab process last season and that it may have led to other injuries. Gurnick said that the ankle injury Kemp is rehabbing from can sometimes be career threatening.
- FOX 26 reported that seven-time NBA All-Star Tracy McGrady is attempting to pitch in professional baseball. McGrady, 34, has been training with Diamondbacks scout Scipio Spinks and is looking to get an opportunity with an Independent League’s Sugarland Skeeters. Spinks said that McGrady’s fastball is currently in the 85 mph range and that he has a “true slider” with good break on it.
As a note, there will be no MLB Storylines on Monday, due to Sunday night's Super Bowl. MLB Storylines will return Tuesday morning.