MLB Storylines: Pitching market is starting to develop
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
With no major signings or trades occurring on Friday, there are no "Top Stories." Instead, I will give a rundown of all of the day's news and notes.
Here are the stories from Friday, January 24th.
News and Notes
- Multiple reports have stated that both the Orioles and the Blue Jays are active in the starting pitching market. According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles have had recent dialogue with starters Ervin Santana, Ubaldo Jimenez, andBronson Arroyo.
- Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN that assistant general manager Rob Antony called him the other day to tell him that the club was making a serious run at another free agent. Gardenhire said that the Twins have made their run at this mystery free agent and are waiting to see what happens.
- Jon Heyman reported that both the Dodgers and Angels have had discussion with free agent starter Bronson Arroyo.
- MLB.com’s Greg John’s tweeted that Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said the team is probably done making any major moves.
- Cuban catcher Yenier Bello has been cleared by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and is now free to sign with any MLB team. Bello, 28, projects to hit for some power. Right-handed pitcher Odrisamer Despaigne, 26, has also been cleared by OFAC to sign with any MLB team.
- Freddy Garcia agreed to re-sign with the Braves on a Minor League deal.
- The Mets re-signed Daisuke Matsuzaka to a Minor League contract.
- Jose Mijares agreed to a Minor League deal with a Spring Training invite with the Red Sox.
- The White Sox have agreed to a multiyear extension with manager Robin Ventura.
- Ty Wiggington got a Minor League deal with an invite to Spring Training with the Marlins.
- Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish tweeted that pitcher Jerome Williams has offers on the table from at least three teams and is expected to make a decision soon.
- The Yankees traded lefty David Huff to the Giants for cash considerations.
If I was a FA pitcher still available I would be leery of signing with the Orioles because there a chance you could flunk there physical. Examples in Balfour and now Colvin.
I wont be able to go to Tribe Fest, but who ever does in this forum I hope everyone has a great time.