MLB Storylines: Tigers lose another player to injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AndrewIBI.
Here are the stories from Friday, March 21st.
- Tom Gage of the Detroit News reported that Tigers will be without their setup man for the 2014 season as Bruce Rondon will undergo Tommy John surgery.
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that the Indians and Jason Kipnis have set Opening Day as the deadline on negotiations of a contract extension.
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reported that the Indians have granted right-hander David Aardsma his release. According to Bastian, Aardsma asked for his release after being informed that he would not make the big league bullpen.
- Bastian also reported that Indians GM Chris Antonetti said that he met with Masterson and all are in agreement "to table discussions on a multi-year contract and potentially revisit it down the road." Masterson openly stated he would be willing to reopen discussions during the season saying that it would not distract him. "Although the doors are technically closed," Masterson said, "they all have doorknobs so you can open them again."
- Jordan Bastian also reported that the team is poised to open the season with Carlos Santana serving as the backup catcher, as well as an option for first and third base.
News and Notes:
- MLB.com's Phil Rogers believes that Grady Sizemore has all but locked up a spot on Boston's Opening Day roster.
- Jon Morosi of FOX Sports reported that the Tigers have acquired shortstop Andrew Romine from the Angels in exchange for left-hander Jose Alvarez.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Pirates GM Neal Huntington told him that he is not interested in making a trade for a backup catcher despite the injury to Chris Stewart. That would seem to suggest that Tony Sanchez will open the season as Pittsburgh's backup catcher.
- Sean McAdam of Comcast SportsNet New England reported that the Red Sox are nearing a one-year contract extension believed to be in the neighborhood of $15 million with David Ortiz.
- Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com reported that Baltimore has released DH Jack Cust and 1B Matt LaPorta.
- Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported that he has heard that the Phillies have made John Mayberry Jr. available in trades.
I'm also a bit surprised about Pestano; he's shown flashes of his old self, but has also had some rocky outings (including today)- how effective will he be when he is essentially the sixth inning guy and who may not be used that often? I just wonder if he'd be more likely to find consistent form and velocity pitching every day or every other day down in Columbus than he would pitching every third or fourth day in Cleveland. Pestano has not had a lights out camp; thought Wood and Lee would both make the club; now, it would seem the last spot is between him and Lee, when I thought both might make the club, especially since Pestano's velocity is still down and his command and performance are still iffy.
Looks like the Tigers could be vulnerable this season.