MLB Storylines: Tigers lose Iglesias to shin injury
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, March 15th.
- According to Jim Bowden of ESPN, Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias will miss the majority of the 2014 season because of a shin injury. Scott Boras, the agent for Iglesias, said the shortstop will see two specialists in the coming week regarding his shin injury. Boras also represents free agent shortstop Stephen Drew, and both Bowden and Peter Gammons of MLB Network stated that they believe Detroit may now try to sign Drew.
- Cleveland fell to Arizona 4-2 on Saturday. As part of a bullpen day, Frank Herrmann got the start and surrendered three runs in only 2/3 an inning. Offensively, Mike Aviles was 3-for-3, while Elliot Johnson, David Murphy, and Luke Carlin each had two hits.
- Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that the Indians plan to have Justin Sellers start at shortstop for Triple-A Columbus this season, possibly until top prospect Francisco Lindor gets bumped up from Double-A Akron.
- Shaun Marcum said he felt “better than expected” after his first live bullpen session on Friday.
- Bryan LaHair will get his first Cactus League action on Sunday against the Giants. Manager Terry Francona said LaHair will get three at-bats. Francona also said that Carlos Santana will start working behind the plate again this week and will likely see game action at catcher later in the week.
News and Notes
- Jim Bowden also tweeted that the Mariners still hope to sign free agent slugger Kendrys Morales, but they wants him to lower his price. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that Seattle is also still open to adding a starting pitcher.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com reported that a source told him the Mariners feel no urgency to trade infielder Nick Franklin.
- Ken Rosenthal also wrote that the Braves to not plan to make any more additions to the starting rotation, even if Brandon Beachy has to have Tommy John surgery.
- Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times wrote that Angels pitcher Joe Blanton may have pitched himself into the conversation for a rotation job with his last few spring appearances. Shaikin also said that if other teams begin to show interest in Blanton, the Angels would probably be willing to eat most of his salary in order to trade him.
- The Nationals acquired infielder Brandon Laird from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash.
Drew to 3B is an interesting option once Iglesias is back. Hunter is a free agent after the year and Castellanos can then replace him in RF.