MLB Stoylines: Brantley signs deal, Indians eyeing Santana?
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Monday, February 10th.
- The Indians and outfielder Michael Brantley reached an agreement on a four-year, $25 million contract extension. The extension will buy out all of Brantley's arbitration years, as well as at least one year of free agency. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported the Brantley contract breakdown as: a $3.5 million signing bonus (distributed evenly throughout the length of the contract), $1.5 million in 2014, $5 million in 2015, $6.5 million in 2016, $7.5 million in '17, and an $11 million option with a $1 million buyout for 2018.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeted that the Indians have not spoken with Ubaldo Jimenez or his agent in weeks, however the club has shown some interest in Ervin Santana. While signing Santana would cause the Indians to lose their 22nd pick in the June draft, they would gain a compensation pick around the 35-area from whichever team signs Jimenez. If Cleveland were to re-sign Jimenez, they would keep their 22nd pick, but not receive a compensation pick. Signing either player would result in the Indians still having two first round picks (just in different places, depending on which pitcher they signed), while signing neither would give Cleveland three first round picks (the third first round pick is the competitive balance lottery pick).
- Rosenthal also tweeted that A.J. Burnett is currently in discussions with multiple teams. The Phillies appear to be one of the teams, with the Pirates presumably being another.
News and Notes
- Indians beat writer for MLB.com Jordan Bastian wrote that Tribe starter Justin Masterson is still willing to discuss a long-term extension during Spring Training and may be open to continuing the talks during the 2014 season.
- Tim Dierks of MLBTradeRumors.com reported that Ervin Santana is not close to signing, noting that sources are saying talks are "still in diapers" with 3-4 serious teams.
- Twins general manager has Terry Ryan has been diagnosed with a treatable form of skin cancer called Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Ryan will undergo treatment at the world renowned Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and said in a statement: "I've been assured this form of cancer is treatable and remain optimistic about my return to good health in the near future."
- The Rangers officially signed starter Tommy Hanson to a Minor League deal with a Spring Training invite. Hanson can earn $2 million if he makes the Texas roster, with additional earnings available through incentives.
- The Angels signed reliever Brandon Lyon to a Minor League deal with an invite to Spring Training.
Jon Heyman tweeted that Tommy Hanson's deal with the Rangers is actually a Major League deal for $2 million plus incentives.
Also, I believe Brantley may be getting his $3.5 million signing bonus up front, not distributed throughout the length of the contract. Not positive on that though.
At this point, I'd be kind of surprised IF the Indians DONT make another signing. I suspect this was / is their plan, wait out the mkt see what is there and then snatch up a player or two late at a more palatable price.
I'd definitely want one of those guys (or Burnett) sooner rather than later but spring training is long and a lot of guys don't need the whole time to get ready, especially vets.
That's a valid point. I think they would be fine, but they need to sign this week / next week to have a chance to be ready for opening day.