Storylines: A's hoping to acquire Escobar from Rays
Oakland is working on acquiring Tampa Bay shortstop Yunel Escobar.
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, August 24th.
- Yan Gomes had to slow his activity on Sunday after experiencing more concussion symptoms on Saturday. Terry Francona said that the Indians will take their time with Gomes in order to ensure that he is 100% when he returns.
News and Notes
- The A’s have claimed Rays shortstop Yunel Escobar on revocable waivers and hope to complete a deal with Tampa Bay by the Tuesday deadline. However, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times said an agreement that would send Escobar to Oakland seems unlikely.
- This winter, Johnny Cueto, Mat Latos, Mike Leake, and Alfredo Simon will all be entering their final year of team control. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports believes the Reds could trade at least one of them this offseason, with Latos being the most likely.
- Rosenthal also said that the next Cuban star, Yasmani Tomas, is expected to be cleared as a free agent this winter and could receive the new largest contract for a Cuban free agent.
- More from Rosenthal: The Phillies are having trouble finding any team interested in trading for closer Jonathan Papelbon, despite the team’s willingness to eat a good chunk of his salary. Papelbon has also already cleared waivers, so Philadelphia is free to trade him to any team.
- ESPN’s Buster Olney wrote that the injury-plagued Dodgers could place a claim on Bartolo Colon, who is currently on revocable waivers.
- According to Jon Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants are trying to decide whether they should leave the struggling Tim Lincecum in their rotation or move him to the bullpen.
- Newsday’s Marc Carig reported that Mets top pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard likely will not make his Major League debut this season.
- Oakland acquired catcher Geovany Soto from the Rangers in exchange for cash considerations. The A’s also announced that they have acquired Minor League catcher Bryan Anderson from the Reds. These two additions at catcher come after Oakland learned that John Jaso is going on the 7-day concussion disabled list.
- Pittsburgh claimed lefty Bobby LaFromboise off waivers from San Diego. To make room on the 40-man roster for LaFromboise, the Pirates designated infielder Tommy Field for assignment.
- The Orioles designated former Indian Cord Phelps for assignment to make room on the roster for righty Miguel Gonzalez.
- The Diamondbacks released pitcher Lucas Harrell, who has spent most of the season at Triple-A Reno, posting a 5.15 ERA, 5.7 K/9, and 6.5 BB/9 on 106.2 innings.