Storylines: Biogenesis findings could lead to more suspensions
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, August 5.
- According to ESPN.com's T.J. Quinn, the federal investigation into the Biogenesis clinic have "revealed previously unnamed MLB players." Quinn noted that this new finding could lead to another round of player suspensions.
- The search committee has named MLB chief operating officer Rob Manfred, MLB vice president of business Tim Bronson, and Red Sox chairman Tom Werner the three finalists for the next MLB Commissioner.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports was the first to report that the Padres plan to hire Rangers assistant general manager A.J. Preller to fill their GM vacancy. Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote that the Padres will make an official announcement on the Preller hiring tomorrow.
- The release of Nyjer Morgan highlighted a series of moves that also included Tyler Holt being sent back to Triple-A Columbus and Josh Tomlin being recalled to join the Indians rotation.
- Nick Swisher is nearly ready to return to the Tribe lineup, but with the team going to Cincinnati for interleague play, Swisher will likely only be available as a pinch hitter.
Others News and Notes
- The Marlins designated young righty Jacob Turner for assignment. Turner was acquired in the trade with Detroit for Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante, and was once considered by many to be a top 20 prospect in all of baseball.
- After placing a claim on him through waivers, the Nationals have acquired lefty reliever Matt Thornton from the Yankees. The return is not yet known.
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported that the Rangers have now placed outfielder Alex Rios on revocable waivers. Several teams have interest in trading for Rios before the July 31 trading deadline.
- Dodgers stars Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier, and Josh Beckett all cleared revocable waivers. Hanley Ramirez was claimed, but the Dodgers are not obligated to deal him.
- Former Orioles and A's closer Jim Johnson has agreed to a Minor League deal with the Tigers. Johnson was released by Oakland last week.
- Baltimore released lefty reliever Clay Rapada from his Minor League deal in order to make room on the Triple-A Norfolk roster for newly signed veteran Joe Saunders.
- The Yankees officially released lefty Jeff Francis after designated him for assignment last week.