Storylines: Brewers dealing with injuries to key players
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Saturday, April 26th.
- The Brewers were dealt a couple of blows recently, as shortstop Jean Segura required some plastic surgery after outfielder Ryan Braun accidentally struck him with his bat. Braun himself is also dealing with an injury. He left Saturday's game against the Cubs with an intercostal strain.
- Baltimore slugger Chris Davis was placed on the 15-day DL with a strained oblique. In other Orioles news, third baseman Manny Machado has begun his rehab assignment and could make his 2014 debut with Baltimore in the near future.
- Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that the Indians were hesitant to give Justin Masterson a long-term deal this spring because of decreased velocity during Spring Training, his inconsistency, and his imperfect mechanics. Pluto went on to say that the club preferred an extension in the three-year, $45 million range, opposed to the three-year, $53 million offer presented by Masterson's camp.
- Yan Gomes' wife is set to give birth any day now, which means he will soon be put on the paternity list. Without a third catcher currently on the 40-man roster, the Indians will have to make a roster move when that time comes.
Others News and Notes
- According to Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona, the Diamonbacks' players are rallying around managerKirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers. Arizona's rough start has led to speculation that Gibson and Towers may both be on the hot seat.
- The Rockies placed starter Brett Anderson on the 60-day DL after he had surgery to repair a fractured finger.
- Chris Cotillo of MLBDailyDish.com tweeted that pitcher Freddy Garcia has completed his deal with the EDA Rhinos in Taiwan.
- Veteran infielder Chad Tracy has decided to retire after spending parts of nine seasons in the big leagues.
- First baseman Travis Ishikawa has signed with the Giants and will report to Triple-A Fresno. Ishikawa was designated for assignment by the Pirates last week.
- The Braves released Minor League slugger Ernesto Mejia after reaching an agreement to let the first baseman play with the Seibu Lions of the Japanese Pacific League.