Storylines: Cardinals win a thriller, pull even in NLCS
- The postseason of wild beginnings and finishes continued again on Sunday as the St. Louis Cardinals defeated the San Francisco Giant 5-4 in “Wong-off” fashion. The game one masterpiece by Madison Bumgarner would not be followed up by the performances of Jake Peavy or Lance Lynn. They both struggled to find the plate and were hit all over the ballpark. Peavy only went 4.0 innings while Lynn went 5.2. However, the biggest turn in the game came in the sixth inning when Yadier Molina had to be helped walking off of the field with an apparent torso injury. Although his loss was big, the pitching for the Cardinals improved until the ninth inning. Trevor Rosenthal who has been solid all postseason long struggled and it led to the Giants tying the game up at four after he threw a wild pitch. Sergio Romo came in to pitch in the bottom half of the inning and Kolten Wong homered off of him for the walk-off win. Game Three will be played on Tuesday at AT&T Park in San Francisco.
Other News and Notes
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the San Francisco Giants are interested in resigning Jake Peavy. He has potentially went from playing for a minimal contract to a three-year deal.
- The Detroit Tigers want to keep Victor Martinez and the interest is mutual.
- If the Oakland Athletics were to shop Jeff Samardzija, the Boston Red Sox would possibly inquire about him as they did the same when he was with the Chicago Cubs.
- The Mariners, Yankees and Rangers will be looking to bid for Nelson Cruz once the Baltimore Orioles postseason ends.
- According to Roger Mooney of Tampa Tribune, if the Los Angeles Dodgers were to fire current GM Ned Coletti, their first choice would be Tampa Bay Rays GM, Andrew Friedman.
- Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Arizona Diamondbacks hope to have a decision on a new manager later in the day on Monday.
- Nolan Reimold of the Arizona Diamondbacks has elected to test free agency.
No comments currently. Be the first to comment!