Storylines: Cleveland locks up Atchison for 2015
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Tuesday, Aug. 19.
- The Indians agreed to a one-year extension with veteran reliever Scott Atchison. The new contract also includes a club option for the 2016 season. Atchison will earn $900,000 in 2015 and the 2016 option will be worth $1 million with a $100,000 buyout.
Others News and Notes
- Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com reported that Orioles manager Buck Showalter has announced that the club is moving Ubaldo Jimenez to the bullpen. Baltimore signed Jimenez this past offseason to a four-year, $50 million deal.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweeted that allow the Diamondbacks have not made an official announcement, it is believed that manager Kirk Gibson will keep his job for the 2015 season. However, Arizona chief baseball officer Tony La Russa says no decision has been reached yet.
- According to John Harper of the New York Daily News, many within baseball believe there is an obvious trade match between the Cubs, who are loaded with middle infield prospects, and the Mets, who are rich with young arms.
- Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez underwent successful knee surgery on Tuesday, and the rehab is expected to extend into Spring Training.
- Jason Mastrodonato of The Springfield Republican tweeted that Boston general manager Ben Cherington said that he would be willing to trade prospects this off-season, "for the right guy."
- ESPNLosAngeles.com's Mark Saxon reported that Dodgers pitcher Zack Greinke has skipped his between-starts side sessions due to soreness.
- The Padres have designated infielder Brooks Conrad for assignment and called up lefty Frank Garces from Double-A.