Storylines: Could Myers be on the move again?
- The Padres may not be done wheeling and dealing this offseason as a report from Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News said that Wil Myers has been talked about as part of a package to acquire Phillies ace lefty Cole Hamels. The Padres deny the report saying that Myers is expected to play center field for them in 2015.
Other News and Notes:
- Justin Upton’s agent says that they will no longer explore a contract extension with the Padres once spring training starts.
- James Shields is reported to be asking for a deal in the range of five years and $110 million. The Giants and Red Sox are considered to be the top options and the Yankees may be in the picture as well.
- There is a growing belief that infielder Asdrubal Cabrera will end up taking a one year deal in order to re-establish his market value.
- Righty Ryan Vogelsong is still available on the free agent market but does not appear to be close to a deal with anyone. There are no talks at the moment between him and the Giants.
- With Carlos Quentin no longer a fit in San Diego, the belief is he will be traded to an AL team where he can be a DH. The Orioles, Mariners and Rays are said to be a possible fit.
- Orioles catcher Matt Wieters is expected to be ready by opening day, though on the contract front there is no urgency from him and the Orioles to get an extension done.
- Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe noted that a lot of people in the industry believe that Max Scherzer will end up back with the Tigers.
- The umpires and MLB have reached a five-year labor agreement. Their current deal was set to expire at the end of the year, so the agreement will maintain labor peace unto at least the end of 2016 when the current CBA expires.
- The Twins have signed left-handed reliever Wil Ledezma to a minor league deal.
Follow Tony and the Indians Baseball Insider on Twitter @TonyIBI. Also, his new book the 2014 Cleveland Indians Baseball Insider which profiles the Indians' Top 100 Prospects and more is available for sale.