Storylines: Could Polanco be in Pittsburgh by Friday?
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Wednesday, June 4.
- Justin Masterson told WEEI’s Rob Bradford that he’s following former teammate Jon Lester’s lead when it comes to his contract situation, saying that like Lester, he isn’t letting the fact that he didn’t receive a long-term extension have any effect on his pitching or mindset.
- Danny Salazar was placed on the Triple-A disabled list with a right triceps strain.
- With Wednesday night’s Lake County game being postponed, Zach McAllister will now make his rehab start on Thursday night.
News and Notes
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, top Pirates prospect Gregory Polanco will be called-up to the big leagues in time for Friday’s game at home against Milwaukee. However, two other sources – Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review and Dan Zangrilli of 93.7 the Fan – stated that as of right now the Pirates have no plans of promoting Polanco.
- Rosenthal also reported that before acquiring reliever Bryan Morris from the Pirates, the Marlins almost landed former Orioles closer and current A’s reliever Jim Johnson.
- Baltimore manager Buck Showalter told reporters that the team could go with a six-man rotation when Johan Santana is ready to return to the big leagues.
- Colorado placed outfielder Carlos Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list and promoted infielder Ryan Wheeler from Triple-A. The team also recalled catcher Michael McKenry and designated former backup catcher Jordan Pacheco for assignmen.
- According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox are looking extensively for another outfielder.
- The Yankees made a series of roster moves, claiming pitcher Wade LeBlanc off waivers and promoting Triple-A pitcher Jose Ramirez. New York also sent reliever Preston Claiborne to Triple-A and designated fellow pitcher Alfredo Aceves for assignment.
- The Tigers designated infielder Danny Worth for assignment to make room on the roster for recent call-up Eugenio Suarez.