Storylines: Dunn waives no-trade to join A's
Slugger Adam Dunn was traded from the White Sox to Oakland on Sunday.
In this MLB News and Notes segment, I will be giving occasional reports on the latest news and rumors throughout the MLB. I also will try to tweet news and rumors as I see them, so feel free to follow me on Twitter: @ajnicholsIBI.
Here are the stories from Sunday, August 31st.
- Oakland acquired slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox for Minor League pitcher Nolan Sanburn. Dunn had a limited no-trade clause, but waived it in order to get the chance to play in the postseason for the first time. He also said that he plans to retire after this season. The A’s will eat $1 million of the remaining $2.3 million on Dunn’s contract.
- The Indians recalled Zach McAllister from Triple-A Columbus and placed Josh Tomlin on the paternity list.
- Terry Francona told reporters that the team is set to add at least three new players when rosters expand on Monday: Righty relievers Austin Adams and Bryan Price, and first baseman Jesus Aguilar.
News and Notes
- The Brewers traded for reliever Jonathan Broxton, sending a pair of players to be named later to the Reds. Broxton is under contract next season as well for $9 million, and has a $9 million club option for 2016.
- According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Milwaukee also tried to trade for David Price prior to the trade deadline, but talks didn’t go far when the Brewers refused to include top young pitcher Jimmy Nelson.
- Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times wrote that trades could be the key to Tampa’s offseason. According to Topkin, the Rays would love to be able trade Grant Balfour and Jose Molina, could look to deal Matt Joyce, Sean Rodriguez, and Jeremy Hellickson, and could even discuss moving Desmond Jennings or Wil Myers.
- The Blue Jays acquired outfielder John Mayberry Jr. from the Phillies in exchange for Minor League third baseman Gustavo Pierre.
- Miami sent reliever Chaz Roe to the Yankees in exchange for cash. Roe has spent the entire season at Triple-A New Orleans, but will report to the Yankees big league club.
- The Phillies released veteran righty Jason Marquis from his Minor League deal.
- The White Sox outrighted pitcher Nestor Molina back to Double-A Birmingham.
- Pitcher Deck McGuire was outrighted off of the A’s 40-man roster to make room for Adam Dunn.